Tuesday, June 06, 2006

WC Came to Visit and So I Experienced NYC - Part I

Ah, yes, another visitor! Check!

WC was scheduled to arrive on Friday evening, but his arrival was delayed due to bizarre and unforeseen torrential downpours that started at around 4pm. I'd been trying to convince myself not to worry all day. Yes, weather.com said the weather was to be inclement but it was sunny! D said "There's no way it's going to rain. It's sunny!" "But but but..." I kept saying, but soon relaxed. When the subways started to flood I got nervous.

WC's late arrival wouldn't have been a problem had I not accidentally purchased tickets to a show that ended up being sold out. I was worried and wondering if I would have to find a friend who would be around to give spare keys to, who would have to meet up with WC while I was at the show. Luckily he made it just in time, and he, D and I ran out for some instant Thai food. We left WC behind and headed out to, gasp, New Jersey, to see The Stills and Rogue Wave.

The weather was still ridiculous when we left. Earlier in the day I'd asked D "Do you know how to get to Maxwell's?" "Trust me," he said. I was ever so impressed when he appeared at my desk with ferry and bus schedules! I said "I'd rather not take the ferry if it's pouring... I'm not good on rocky boats." When we left the restaurant, we decided to take a cab, because it was already 10:00 (show was at 10:00) and I didn't want to miss Rogue Wave. We miraculously hailed a van cab (woop!) who agreed to take us to Maxwell's, but had to get out when we realized the set fare was $44! We had him drop us off at Port Authority. D said "Do you have the bus schedule?" I don't know why he thought I would have the bus schedule. He was the one who printed it out and therefore would have had it. "No, why would I?" "I don't know, I thought maybe you brought it." "No, did you not bring it?" Of course not. Luckily he remembered the terminal from which of the 12 million terminals it was departing (bless him), and we were at Maxwell's by 10:20.

Rogue Wave
- big disappointment. No lush production, no layers, nothing. Live its generic saccharine pop played by a guy who looks like he should attend Hampshire College. Devastated, I was, as I am a huge fan of the recorded music.

The Stills, however, were amazing. Unfortunately I couldn't completely enjoy the show because they didn't go on until 11:45 or so and I am an old lady who hates standing for more than a couple hours at a time. The Stills are short. They are also amazing musicians. I was very impressed and wish only that the show had started two hours earlier.

A few notes on Maxwell's:

1. Good because it is not in NYC and is therefore not as pretentious. People were normal. People were dancing! People weren't at the show to be seen at the show. People were at the show to enjoy the show.

2. Bad because there is nowhere to seat.

3. Bad bathroom situation - no line formation for the women's room, just standing around hoping you might be next.

4. Drunk people. Wicked drunk. I rarely see such sloppiness in NYC, but perhaps because everyone is just getting started when I'm ready to go home. But it was, how shall I put this, sorority-esque sloppy.

5. Old guy dancing to Rogue Wave. Like a really old guy. Possibly 60 years old. Awesome, until he invaded my personal space with his crazy moves. Then I hated him.

We ended up leaving early due to stamina issues. On our way out, D asked the bouncer "Where does the bus stop?" The bouncer said "Oh, the buses stop at 1:00." It was 1:10. Drat! "We'll take the PATH," D suggested. "OK," I said. "How far away is it?" I asked. "I don't know - like a 20 minute walk." In the rain. Right. "Do you know the schedule?" "No. I think it runs every half hour," said he. "When?" "I don't know." Right. "Can we start walking to the PATH and maybe just maybe possibly I'll pay for it get a cab if we see one?" Agreed.

Many unmarked cabs passed us by. We were soaked.

Many buses passed us by. D was pissed.

We finally got a cab, $44 again, and waited while he got gas for twenty minutes. D raged the entire time against the bouncer, who he blamed for our misfortune. I kept saying "Dude, its our fault. We didn't bring the bus schedule! It's our fault," but no, it was the bouncer's fault.

We got home and poor WC had fallen asleep on the couch. He claimed to not have need for bedding as we'd be home by midnight his time, but he fell asleep anwyay. How much do I suck as a hostess? Tons.

No comments: