Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Invisibility

I had this weird panic at lunch today.

There's a ChineseBurritoPlace near work where I customarily purchase disgusting but oversized burritos (8 pounds of food, I swear) for $5.05, including a drink. The people who work behind the counter are nuts. Before you even have a chance to look at the menu, they scream "MAYIHELPYOU?!" Seriously. They scream. They're hyper but efficient. They know that people always order the same thing, so there's no sense in waiting.

So I go in this afternoon, and there's four people behind the counter - two screamers, a cook, and a girl who's actually mellow. There is nobody else at the counter except me. I'm staring at all of them and they all looked right through me! And not like they were purposefully ignoring me. It was like I wasn't there!

This went on for about a minute, and I didn't know what to do. They had to have known I was there. They were all standing like 6 inches away from me, and how could they all be completely unattentive at the same time?

And it's not like they were ignoring me on purpose. They just didn't see me!

I didn't want to be all "Umm... excuse me?" They had to know I was there!

Then I thought "What if I've turned invisible?"

I quickly dismissed the idea, but then kept thinking "What if? Seriously, what if you could turn invisible in the same way that you like break out in a rash or something?"

How would you even know if you'd turned invisible in NYC? It's normal to be ignored, to be walked into, to be unnoticed. You wouldn't know if you were invisible!

Yeah.

I think New York is making me crazy.

No comments: