Thursday, June 08, 2006

Shopgirl - The Musical

Genre: Totally and Utterly Musical Inspired
Date: 6.8.06




Description:

I swear I have nothing against Steve Martin. I love him. I think he's funny. I just want more from him, dammit! 'Shopgirl' could have been good had it not been so shallow and emotionless.

I was thinking that perhaps, had it been a musical, there would have been much more feeling.

Hence 'Shopgirl - The Musical!'

I've been wanting to write a musical for a while, but I can never think of anything to write a musical about. I guess that's where the original idea for 'My Mundane Life in Song' came from, but life has gotten even more mundane as of late so I haven't been able to think of any song topics. Actually, this isn't true. I've recorded like 10 songs in the last few months but haven't finished any of them and now they're irrelevant.

I've had a few ideas here and there for full-fledged musicals, but the ideas are never as melodramatic as I'd like the music to be. So this song is ultradramatic, complete with me trying to do all the parts. It's overwrought, emo, dramatic. It's more 'Miss Saigon' than 'Pajama Game.' I'm such a drama queen. 'Shopgirl' itself should have been more of a drama queen.

Let's see. The recording is atrocious. I was too lazy to get out the mic on this one and everything you hear is first-take except for a couple times when I totally messed up the lyrics. It's so weird to me that I continually mess up the lyrics to my own songs, but I guess when you write a song in like one hour and then record it the next you're bound to forget how things go. The singing is totally melodramatic, but I must admit I enjoyed doing it. Recording it reminded me of this Danny Elfman recording I bought for my father that has Danny Elfman singing a demo for the entire score for 'Nightmare Before Christmas' by himself, doing all the characters, being totally nuts. It's a silly thing to do and is therefore awesome. I may have to do more of this.

You can also hear Hell's Kitchen traffic if you listen closely enough.

I doubt you'll make it through the whole thing, but if you don't I'd recommend at least getting through the bridge which starts with "I love Ray..." and ends with "Daddy, daddy..." etc.

Lyrics:

Mirabel:

I am a Shopgirl
I sell gloves by day and at night
I draw with charcoal to work out issues I have with my father

I am quite desperate for any type of affection
But only if the guy wears nice shoes and buys me dresses

Jeremy is very quirky
But we on't be able to take care of me monetarily

Ray:

I am an old man
I have become smitten with the Shopgirl
To whom I'll send a pair of gloves to get her attention

Shopgirl, I like you, but this is going nowhere
Cuz for work I must travel
But if you show your skin I'll pay the loans for your tuition

Let's shack up when I'm in town

Mirabel:

I'm so happy when you're around

I love Ray so I'll throw away my antidepressants
Now I'm a mess
But he will save me
Daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy

Ray:

Here is a letter stating that I cheated on you

Mirabel:

I'm taking my things
I'm going to Vermont to see my family

Ray:

Please come to New York
I'm sorry that I'm such a dickhead

Mirabel:

OK, I'll do it,
I secretly love you so you're forgiven

Ray:

I'm thinking of getting a place in New York City
A three bedroom in case I meet someone and want a family
Oh shit

Mirabel:

I'm taking my things
I'll work in a gallery and I'll have my own show of drawings with the support of Jeremy

Thank you for coming
I want you to have the drawing of me in my bed

Ray:

I'm sorry for everything that I did

Mirabel:

I know, I know, I know

The Chorus:

She didn't like him the way he was
Now he's well dressed so she does

Jeremy:

Yes I may be hair but I have a personality
Unlike the other characters in this movie

No comments: