Friday, May 20, 2005

REVENGE OF THE SITH - My Preliminary and Incoherent Thoughts

OK. This isn't really going to be a review so much as my general first impressions. I definitely need to see it again. I was tired after having stood in lines for the greater portion of the evening, and am just tired in general from life being in a general state of chaos.

Here are my preliminary (tired) thoughts:

1. Natalie Portman is the worst thing that ever happened to movies.

2. Hayden Christensen, while still terrible, is a little less terrible that in Attack of the Clones. His acting, like Mark Hamill's, improves over time. Like Luke transitioning from whiney and uncertain farmboy to stoic and confident Jedi, Hayden Christensen is far more believable in this one.

3. The Jedi really have no idea what's going on. Like I expect them to kick more ass, to know what's going on, to be able to predict destruction! I guess the whole thing is that the Dark Side was clouding their visionary abilities and tainting their physical prowess. Right.

4. Yoda, as always, is the best. In fact, as I was leaving I overheard someone say "Yoda is the best."

5. If you need to use the restroom when you see it, please leave any time Natalie Portman appears on screen.

6. Visuals - WOW ZOWIE AMAZING OH MY GOD AMAZING INSANE!!!!

7. The first hour and a half felt like six hours.

8. The last 45 minutes will be burned into my brain for the rest of time. This is some of the best filmmaking I've ever seen.

9. I cried during those last 45 minutes. It was extremely intense. It was amazing.

10. I feel closure.

11. There was an extremely cheesy and inconsistent Darth Vader scene at the end that I am very mad about.

12. Definitely the best of the prequels.

13. Very dark.

14. The opening sequence felt very much like the originals, which was nice.

15. I don't know. Depending on what minute it is, I might say "It was awesome!" or "It wasn't very good." But mostly I'm leaning towards "Mostly it was bad but the payoff was definitely worth waiting 6 years and enduring awful love scenes for. Go see it, but don't wait in line for hours because this movie feels like an eternity."

I'll probably see it again this weekend and will have more coherent thoughts next week.

Now am I going to eat lunch, which I brought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

agree with all your comments..

I also think it was out of character for Darth Vader to yell "Nooo!!!". They should have shown him devoid of feeling.. just standing there quiet and pensive...

-G

Leah Lar said...

Yes. That's what I was referring to in comment 11. It was sooooo awful. Someone at work described it as a "Simpsons moment." Ridiculous.

People actually laughed.

Poor Lucas. That could have been the most powerful moment in the film but he had to go and ruin it because he doesn't believe in subtlety.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Yoda is the best, but why did he give up so easily at the end when he clearly had the upper hand? As my friend is so fond of saying, "Yoda, come on."