Thursday, May 19, 2005

Revenge of the Sith Activities - Part 1

I had to go for bloodwork yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day and I happened to have my camera with me, so I decided to swing by the Ziegfeld on 54th to see if there was any Star Wars related insanity going down.

On my way to the Ziegfeld, I encountered this guy:

Random Dude With Light Saber

I knew I was in for a treat.

The Ziegfeld was busily preparing for the red carpet that night:

Ziegfeld

There were lots of people camping out:



More People Camping

Some of these people were part of a non-profit organization that was raising money for charity by waiting in line for months. They apparently were going to get into the movie first.

The Line Starts Here



The non-profit people sponsored things for the campers, such as massages:

Massage

Geek Squad also had this thing, a Fully Operational Workstation:

Geek Squad - A Fully Operational Workstation

The inside of the workstation was set up to look like "the Death Star." A very cute boy told me I could go inside. I don't know if it was open to the general public or if he let me inside because I looked tres official with my camera. Inside they had a bunch of computers with wireless internet connections so the campers could keep in touch with the outside world, as well as what looked like a kitchen.

Inside WorkStation

Inside WorkStation

After the non-profit line was the line of regular people who were hoping to get a good seat:

Regular Joe

Overzealous but Awesome Jedi

Another Interview with Campers

Random Guy on 54th Walking With Light Saber

No Parking - Star Wars Fans Only!



Interview with Campers

Jedis Laughing

Time Remaining

On my way back to work, I passed a little souvenir shop. It's window looked like this:

Toys In The City

I had to go inside. I took some photos:



Because I felt guilty about taking pictures in the store, I bought Star Wars temporary tattoos that we are still showing off today!

2 comments:

nithya said...

A&E did a fantastic program about the entire Star Wars franchise recently. Pretty neat stuff. Almost more interesting than the movies themselves. There I said it.

This one should have been called "Revenge of the Nith." Just sayin...

Beth said...

A few comments.
1 - the first guy with the lightsaber... I couldn't tell that was a lightsaber. For 10 minutes I'm looking at the photo saying, "What? I don't get it? What is he doing?"
2-the large woman collecting money. What is she dressed as? Is she supposed to be Luke Skywalker? Luke's aunt? What? Maybe I'm not enough of a SW geek to get her.
3-I hope you did not put any money in that jar.
4-Geeksquad... I randomly saw a Geeksquad car in BEVERLY, MA the other day. Why? I don't know. I guess geeks have gone worldwide... heh heh heh, terrible, I know. I am a geek, I just don't have a squad.
5-they let you on the bus 'cause you're hot!!!
6-the guy with the karate gi costume... I'm sorry but his effort pales next to the average geek in costume. He basically wore an old gi, stuck posters to himself and draped an old paint cloth over his shoulders. What are those, paper towel rolls in his hands?
7-Hot new phrase: "Status: STAR WARS!"
8-Sorry to be so insane about YOUR blog and YOUR photo essay. I LOVE IT!!! I'm jealous, all I saw in Boston was a Chewbacca and a couple of Jedis.