Monday, May 01, 2006

Living

Genre: Emo
Date: 4.21.06



Description:

"Music is fiction."

Right.

Living together is a big transition.

It's been good. It just wasn't for a moment, and MG didn't answer the phone because she was at a diner, so during that moment I wrote this song, while he ran and showered and existed without realizing that I was freaking out and missing him even though he was physically closer than ever. So the song, of course, is fictitious, but inspired by true events.

It's mostly inspired by (and is a homage to) the Liz Phair song "Go On Ahead" from Whitechocolatespaceegg, which is one of the best songs ever written, in my humble and currently drunken opinion, and has been going through my head non-stop since the cohabitation began, not because it's accurate, but because it's good and is relevant without actually being relevant.

This song, however, is not good. I wrote and recorded it in about 30 minutes, while realizing that it's hard to write and record songs when you have a roommate who might care about the songs' content.

I'm not going to write anymore because I feel like I am going to slur my typing too so here you go.

Lyrics:

It wasn't in order to get less of you
It wasn't in order to make less of us
Not to be business partners
Not to stop drowning in duplicates
Not to self destruct

It wasn't in order to feel alone
It wasn't in order to be on my own
Not to have the most sparkly
Windows on the island
Not to write sad songs

Not to go to sleep without saying goodnight
Not to not go to sleep at all
Not to wish for information
Or smiles and kisses
Not for convenience
It's for you
To be nearer to you
It's to be nearer to you

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any way to get your songs in a format that I could put on my ipod? Do you have a CD out?

--mkr

Leah Lar said...

hmmm... well, you can email me your address and i can mail you a CD. i also have a very old CD that has absolutely nothing to do with the blog if you're interested in that. i can send you the link for that as well.

and THANKS!

Beth said...

EMO is right! I like it, it's maudlin, but I like it! (maudlin is my new favorite word, btw)

Leah Lar said...

Ooooh. Maudlin. That is a good word, LBF.

Anonymous said...

awesome! I think your songs sound fabulous.

What is your email address?

Leah Lar said...

i think you can get to my email address by clicking on the profile.