Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Geography

National Geographic came out with a survey about the world and American kids aged 18 - 24 performed poorly.

I took the questionnaire, and everything was fine, but it is occurring to me that I know absolutely nothing about geography. Nothing! I don't know where anything is. If I am looking at a map I can pick things out, but if I try to imagine in my head which country El Salvador is I have absolutely no idea. I might know where it is in relationship to other countries, maybe, but unto itself? No clue.

I have never been good at geography. And since I am getting dumber with time and have Alzheimer's and can't remember anything I read or see and can't even remember what entire books or movies were about (for example, the other day I had to ask D what 2046 was about because yes, I saw it, but I can't remember anything about it), things are getting much worse.

I hate that my mind is going. I used to be smart. I was a smart kid. I was smart in college. As soon as I hit the real world, the dumbing began. I instantly forgot everything I had learned. I can't remember song lyrics. I can't remember where restaurants are. I can't remember what happened in the news a week ago. I can't remember what I read three seconds after reading it. I can't remember entire books. I will remember if I liked them or not, but can I quote from a movie? Absolutely not. I can't remember what normality is. I surely can't remember how to calculate it. I can't remember neuroscience. I can't remember who directed what movie. I'm not even good at the Kevin Bacon game anymore. I can't remember what words mean. I used to be complimented on my vast vocabulary. Now I have to ask D what he's talking about because I'm not sure what his words mean.

I have, however, evolved an uncanny ability to remember what people say. I can also remember movie times and dates, but only dates in the future. If I know something is happening in the future on a particular date, awesome. If it already happened? It's as though it never happened at all.

I don't know if this is because I am getting older or because I can't focus as much as I used to or because there is just too much information in my brain or, most likely, because I am not sleeping enough and am in a daze a majority of the time. Or maybe things are spread too thin. I think this is it. I think there is so much going on in the world, so much stimulus, that I don't concentrate on any one thing and therefore don't commit anything at all to memory and therefore can't incorporate anything that happened or was learned into my neurons.

Sometimes I actually worry that there is something wrong with my brain.

Mostly I'm just embarrassed and keep quiet and don't participate in conversations that involve trivia or politics or news.

I'm a sham.

I'm a scam.

I have everyone fooled, and I'd be lying if I said that I don't worry that someday D will find out. There will come a day when our child is doing homework and asks me to point out Azerbaijan and I will have no idea, and D will walk out immediately. He will be disappointed. He will feel fooled.

I've become more conceptual with time. I definitely want to make crafts instead of learning about my field. I want to sit on the grass reading fiction instead of reading nonfiction, which I will forget instantly. I want snippets instead of depth. I'd rather talk to a friend for two hours than read The New York Times. Not that I ever read The Times, but people do, and I feel stupid for not reading it.

I have no idea what's going on in the world. I've been so out of touch since the move. It is atrocious how unconnected I am right now.

I've been staring at maps all day, trying to remember where things are. I am wondering why so many mountain ranges begin with "A." Is this on purpose? I am trying to memorize things I will have forgotten by tonight.

Ugh.

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

More later.

1 comment:

Banalities said...

I think it's a matter of reinforcing what you take in. When we were all in school, we'd see things and hear things and read things and remember them and talk about it with each other -- that's mental, oral, aural, and mnemonic reinforcement for everything you think. Nowadays, I read/see something, it stays in my head, and if it doesn't get out there, it shrivels up and dies there, too.

I mean, I just read four books over the last three week, and I can barely remember them, but I can remember most of that dinner with you and D.

Speaking of which, I've just caught up with the fifth season of Curb, and there's a scene that reminded me of that night -- when I almost choked to death, because in my panic, I failed to remember the universal sign for choking, and you watched my turning red, bugging my eyes out, panicked flailing of arms, my *pointing* at my throat excitedly, with both hands, until at one point, I finally, temporarily, briefly adjusted the blockage to gasp out a strangled cry:

Me: Hrmm chking!
Leah Lar: What?
Me: Ch'king!!
Leah Lar: You're choking.
Me: [nodding, turning redder, still pointing]
Leah Lar: Seriously?
Me: [furiously nodding]
Leah Lar: You're choking?
Me: [big, gigantic nodding]
Leah Lar: Because, y'know, the universal sign for choking...
Me: [frantic, remembering what the universal sign is, and then doing it]
Leah Lar: So, you're *really* choking?
Me: [dies]
D: [comes back from bathroom] What happened?
Leah Lar: I'm not sure. I think he choked to death.
D: Didn't he use the universal sign for choking?
Leah Lar: Sort of. I don't know. Whatever. Pass the breadsticks.