Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Another Liz Phair Rant

I'm sorry, Anonymous. Songs take a long time. The old songs will be up in the next few weeks. Do not despair.

But, Anonymous, you might be interested in the following rant.

So I was just catching up on the blog reading I missed whilst in Buenos Aires, and I am horrified to learn that Liz Phair is coming out with a new album. She worked with producers who are responsible for such acts as Jason Mraz (cute and harmless but not really good), John Mayer (cute and there is too much of him and his music pains me but he had a funny comment about trapper keepers on "I Love the 80's"), Sheryl Crow (needs to be stopped) and Chris Isaak (who I know nothing about so maybe that producer is acceptable).

I made the mistake of listening to some preview tracks and I want to vomit.

Liz, Liz, why?! WHY!?!?

Bench Buddy said "You should have taken her limo when you had the chance. You'd have shown her!"

I said "Dude, I'd have made a more convincing Liz Phair than she would have."

The thing is that Liz Phair can't sing. The attractiveness of her early music is the songwriting, the gritty production, the honesty. These overproduced tracks are for people who want to hear singing, not content. So anyone who wants singing won't buy this because she can't really sing. And anyone who wants good songs with honesty won't buy it because it has neither.

Devastating. Absolutely devastating.

If only I'd listened to Girly Sounds instead of this nonsense.

OK. I'm done.

Please continue with what you were doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz Phair is the worst thing ever! All her albums stink.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... that last comment does appear a bit negative. Allow me to say that your pictures are terrific! There, things are a bit more balanced out now.

Anonymous said...

Liz Phair's 1st 2 albums are awesome...I bought her 3rd one about 6 months after it came out, but have yet to listen to it. I made the mistake of hearing whatever single she had out a year ago (or however long ago that was)...I will not be purchasing any more of her music. Ever.