Monday, December 06, 2004

The Weekend And Then Some In List Form

1. I didn't get as much sleep as I'd have liked to on Friday night.

2. Getting up at 6:30am on a Saturday, which is earlier than I get up during the week, is just plain wrong.

3. The man seated next to me on the bus on my way up to Boston thought Jersey Girl was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

4. Boston seems small.

5. And white.

6. And the dogs don't seem as well-groomed.

7. And more people wear sweatshirts in Boston than in NY.

8. Anna's Burritos are still heaven. I haven't been eating well/right but my bean and rice burrito with cheese/guac/sour cream/and minor hot sauce reset everything. Yum!

9. Man do I miss my former roommates. They are a blast. We were punchy from the moment I walked into my former home. One doesn't get to be as punchy in a new life where one doesn't know people well enough to be punchy.

10. It is nice when other people help you with your unmanageable hair.

11. I had really good eye-shadow for the party. And fabulous purple pants. Purple pants. I wish I could wear them every day.

12. I miss having close girlfriends.

13. I miss having my sister nearby.

14. I miss having close friends at all, really. It's weird when you live in a place where nobody knows you well.

15. I miss everyone, dammit.

16. I don't have enough time for anything. I want people to visit but there is not time. I want to visit people but there is not time. I want to talk to each person I know in Boston, for at least three hours per person, but there is not time.

17. Carols on a Keyboard are just as good as Carols on a Piano.

18. During the party, M said "H has something to tell you!" She was all frantic and smiley so I knew it would be good. (And please note, I was drunk-ish when this transpired so this may not be the most accurate account!)

H said, handing me $20, "I owe you money."

I said "For what?"

She said "For the Smashing Pumpkins concert in 1996 that you, me, and M went to at UMass."

"What?"

"My father owes you money."

"For what?"

"The Smashing Pumpkins."

"We went to see the Smashing Pumpkins?"

"Yes, so I owe you $30."

"Why?"

"Because my dad got you the tickets and you guys wrote him a check but he wanted it to be part of my birthday present, so he owes you money."

"Sweet!"

M said "I'm giving mine to charity."

"Wait - what?"

"My father owes you money. He told me at Thanksgiving to give you and M $30 each, but I only have two $20's and some ones."

"Sweet!"

Now. I don't understand why

a. H's father just didn't cash the checks back in 1996 or
b. why he remembered or
c. why he just didn't let it go, but

I was PSYCHED. And I wasn't going to donate it to charity, because H's father wanted me to have the money! So I used it to finance the party. Woo hoo!!!

H said "Look, all I have is $27 so I owe you $3 next time I see you."

"No you don't!" M and I said, but I have a sneaking suspicion that she'll give me $3 from her father next time I see her. Bizarre but....

Awshummmmm......

19. Sleeping in a sleeping bag with a hot water bottle is heaven. Heaven. Best sleep I've had in ages, despite being on a pull-out couch, because I was the warmest I've been in ages. Hmmmmm.

20. The bus driver on the bus ride home said things like "Don't ask me what time it is throughout the ride - if you do not own a watch, it is clear that you don't care about time, so don't bother me" and "The bus is temperature controlled - if you get warm, take off your coat - if you get cold, put on your coat - don't tell me about it" and "If you fall asleep, please make sure your valuable belongings are put somewhere secret - depending on what country you're in, different things are of value - such as your spouse, children, or significant other - so if you fall asleep, make sure they are hidden - someone might take them" and "The scheduled arrival time is 6:30 - it could be 6:50 or 7:30 or 9:00 - I do not know - so don't ask me - whenever we get there is when we get there and it will have nothing to do with me."

21. Desperate Housewives was not on. Sadness and weeping.

22. Roommate's cat is really sick and I am surprisingly distraught.

23. This morning in the subway a man was singing "I'm dreaming of a black Christmas."

24. It is Monday.

25. That is all.

5 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

You forgot to mention the money for the concert tickets!

Anonymous said...

25. I fell asleep trying to read this

Leah Lar said...

I'm sorry my blog put you to sleep. And I am jealous that you got to take a nap. Hmph.

Dr. Maureen said...

I didn't give it to charity. We used it to pay for the repairs on the "NOW" clock.

M

Anonymous said...

Leah! you rock! I laughed at your observations, I appreciate your attention to detail and want you to know, your former roommates miss you too! xo A