Thursday, December 09, 2004

Thirteen

Date: 12.9.04
Genre: Butterflies

NOTE: This is a cover of Big Star's "Thirteen" from the album #1 Record which was released in 1972. This is one of my favorite songs ever.



Description:

Some technical notes: I did this in one hour. I rushed this because I am afraid that if I don't record it now, I never will because the butterflies will be replaced by more venom towards men.

Yes, I know, I know, you're saying "tempo issues!" The original song changes tempo, so there!

The bridge bites. I've actually never liked the bridge in the song - it doesn't go with the rest of the song - but I appreciate that as an issue, as Lollybanger had the same issue on many occasions. The bridge, however, sounded infinitely worse on piano than on guitar, so I just threw something not-as-complex but equally dumb in there on this recording.

I have not done this song justice. This is the cutest song ever written and I have butchered it in my attempt to capitalize on my temporary good mood. I am sorry, Big Star. I really love the song. Please forgive me.

I recorded this song because I currently feel very cute towards someone, which is something I haven't experienced in a very long time. I haven't felt this way in nearly ten years. It is noteworthy and deserves a song. It is hard, however, to depart from my usual hateful, spiteful, vengeful writing style. I'd love to write a song about having an innocent crush, but the last time I did that I wrote "Big Dipper" and all hell broke loose over the course of the next few years.

I would write a song if I felt at all optimistic, but I don't.

I will, however, enjoy feeling like I am "Thirteen" until everything gets ruined.

(Cute sidenote: I've been toying with the idea of recording this for a while, and the other night he said "What is your feeling on The Rolling Stones?" and I said "Overrated," and he gave me the nod of approval and then said "Except Paint It Black, of course." Sigh.)

Lyrics:

Won't you let me walk you home from school
Won't you let me meet you at the pool
Maybe Friday I can
Get tickets for the dance
And I'll take you
Won't you tell your dad "Get off my back"
Tell him what we said bout "Paint It Black"
Rock n roll is here to stay
Come inside now its okay
And I'll shake you
Won't you tell me what you're thinking of
Would you be an outlaw for my love
If its so then let me know
If its "no" well, I can go
I won't make you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your opinion regarding the Rolling Stones is only respectable if you have given "Beggars Banquet" a fair listening. On the other hand, aren't most things that are as popular as the Stones overrated?