Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Hair Cut!

I have made an appointment to get my hair cut.

It will be very expensive but will be downstairs at the salon featured on some show called What Not To Wear that I've never seen.

You can get haircuts with the stylists-in-training for 1/5 the price of the master stylist.

Master stylist!

I went in, made my appointment, and the woman at the desk said "Your appointment will be with C. She's here if you'd like to meet her."

"Cool."

C appeared and said "OK, why don't you sit down for your consulation!"

Consultation?

I was like "Wait, I didn't want a consultation..."

"You said you wanted to meet with me."

"Yes... but... well... you see... do I have to pay for this?"

Nope. You don't. You have a consultation a couple weeks before so the stylist can be thinking about your hair in the meantime.

Now I don't feel so bad about paying an exorbitant amount of money for a haircut, because it included a consultation!

I love the lighting in hair salons - it makes your hair look all shiny and perfect and appealing. C just ran her hands through my hair for two seconds and made it look the best its looked ever. How do they do that?

I said "You see, I'd like for the new haircut to make my hair always look like this even though there's no way I'll ever be able to make it look like this again."

She promised to "show me" how to do it.

Then I walked outside and the wind blew and my hair looks awful. But it looked really good and extremely shiny for two minutes.

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

Oh, I'm so jealous, you can't believe it. First of all, I LOVE "What not to Wear." It's a guilty pleasure. (Shut up, you watch MTV all day long.) Second of all, I'm jealous that you get a fancy hair cutter. I miss my fancy hair stylist. He was also a "master stylist." Sadly, he is in Philly. His haircuts always took forever, because he was really careful and thorough. And before the first cut, he schedules in extra time for the consultation, and he asks you about your lifestyle and grooming habits to determine how much styling you'll tolerate, and also to figure out what kind of style best fits your personality. Then the haircut itself took about an hour because he was so careful, and he explained to me exactly how to do it myself. AND he told me what style I should get, and he was right. Best haircuts of my life at his hands. He was expensive, but SO worth it.

When I finally got around to getting a haircut in Worcester, I chose a salon that has "master stylists" and made an appointment. She cut my hair in about 20 minutes! I was stunned! Where were the questions? Where was the chatting? Where was the explanation of how to style it? The haircut was adequate (and, I must admit, a hell of a lot cheaper), but I miss my expensive guy. I'm seriously considering pilgrimmages to Newbury St for a proper haircut. I may have to go back to Philly every four months or something.

We should time my next visit to coincide with our haircutting needs so that I can go to your new stylist.