Sunday, November 21, 2004

Storm Troopers

I think I feel settled after this weekend.

I spent Friday night being "productive" after I got a bit sidetracked by a movie being filmed on the streets of Williamsburg starring Freddie Prinze Jr., who is not at all attractive in real life. I cleaned the apartment, wrote a song, and got nearly 13 hours of sleep.

On Saturday I completed writing the song and then went to the movies with E. We went to see "Ray," which I didn't particularly want to see, but had to see because E is a film student and sees everything the minute it comes out. One work to describe Ray: Amazing. I didn't expect to like it, but it blew my mind away. Jamie Foxx was exquisite. You should all see it. It was very powerful. We didn't go to dinner because the movie was really long and I had to get back to the Burg for a show at Galapagos. It was surf rock show that was supposed to begin at 8:30. I got there at about 8:45 and the show didn't start until around 9:45, which was agony because I was by myself just sitting there for an hour. The show began with a god awful "film" set to music by the opening band. More agony. It was an art film with scenes that not only didn't make any sense, but just went on and on forever. Like a bride in black and white on a swing set for 10 minutes. And then two brides! And then THREE!!! The film ended and they needed to set up for the opening band, which took about an hour. The opening band wasn't bad - they were sort of a not-as-developed Low - but I realized three seconds into the set that going to a show when you have an ear infection is a bad idea. I left three songs into it and called my friend D, who "met me" at the show but didn't actually meet up with me because he and his friends wanted to chill near the bathroom (where there were less people) and I didn't want to because I had a sweet spot with a chair. Yay adult rock show. D and his two friends came over and we hung out in the loft for a bit. It was nice to have visitors.

And today I slept late again and then went to the Comics Expo with Roommate. It was very overwhelming and full of wonderful toys, all of which we wanted. We decided that we will have to find loads of money before the next Expo, which is in January.

I was disappointed, though, because I really wanted to get a Flava Flav clock for cheap, but they did not have it. Nor did they have a Snoop Dogg action figure. They did, however, have Nelly. But I don't want Nelly.

On our way out, we met some storm troopers! We were so smitten and just generally flustered after having met them that we took the train uptown instead of downtown. Luckily we realized it and just backtracked. I wanted to go back up and get the storm troopers' phone numbers since we had to go back there, but we decided to go home instead. And now we are home, looking at the photo. Sigh.


Storm_Troopers, originally uploaded by leah_lar.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Dude, you totally look smitten. Who took the photo for you? Darth Vader? I call him "Big Papi". You look gorgeous in your pink coat. Did you see the storm troopers without their masks? I'm wondering if they were cute inside the costume as well as outside, but I suspect that Star Wars Costume Geek and cute do not necessarily go hand in hand. Regardless, I am happy to see you with your storm troopers. Awesome! Did those red hearts magically appear when the photo was taken or was there a Valentine's themed display that encouraged the love of star wars characters? You and J should start a support group for women who fall in love with Expo characters. Then you could have a convention for people who love conventions and people who love convention-goers.

Leah Lar said...

We asked a woman with a cane to take our picture, because we figured she couldn't run off with my camera. Isn't that awful?

We did see two storm troopers walking around maskless prior to this photo, but I'm not sure if it was the same two storm troopers. But. The two we saw weren't as comic-geek as you'd imagine. I was sort of hoping they'd ask us for *our* numbers, but they did not, which was too bad, because otherwise we were a huge hit at the convention for obvious reasons (such at the 9:1 male:female ratio).