Monday, November 22, 2004

Never Will I Get Used to This (or I Am Absolutely Star Struck)

So after having a quick lunch today and dropping my purple pants off to be hemmed, I arrived back at work to see the street blocked off in front of my building and a bunch of bystanders standing around, not knowing what was going on.

I thought "Well, I might as well stand around for a bit since I'm in an incubation, and whatever it is will probably be more exciting than Freddie Prinze, Jr."

A jeep drove by with some cameras in it...

Followed by a bunch of NYPD and various other vehicles including...

A gigantic truck on which sat U2.

Now.

I am not a fan of U2, but Bono is a superstar, megastar, star star star.

The truck, which had a huge open bed and the entire band set up with instruments etc., stopped right in front of my building for a minute, during which U2 chatted with us.

Bono said "Hi" to us and I said "Hello" and the Edge nodded at me and sort of tilted his guitar in my direction.

And then they left. They were about 5 feet away. Freaking bizarre. Apparently they are filming at TV spot under the Brooklyn Bridge this afternoon.

It's all very surreal, because this happened while I was at work.

Again, not a fan, but I'd like to say that Bono (and the rest) is larger than life (even in person) and is just a nice guy. They didn't need to stop and talk to us. They didn't even need to let people know that they were there. Instead, they decided to make a bunch of people's days and be friendly.

Many people were giddy (literally squealing) in the elevator after this happened.

This is the first time I ever thought "Why don't I have a camera phone!?"

New York rocks.

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

Yes, Bono is a rock star. In fact, that's how he started his commencement address at my graduation last May. "My name is Bono, and I'm a rock star." [much squealing and screaming form the audience]

And I'd like to add that his speech was really good. Excatly what a commencement address should be. It was about his work for Africa, but the general message was "Have big dreams. Believe in yourselves. Go out and change the world for the better." A cheesy message for anywhere but a graduation, but just what a graduating class needs to hear.

Also, whenever the "Vertigo" Ipod commercial comes on I think how *cool* Bono is. (It helps that I actually am a U2 fan, although not a crazed one.) Like, freakishly cool, in the classic definition of the word. At my graduation, someone told me that when U2 was forming, the three instrumentalists were auditioning lead singers. Their goal was to find a someone with a lot of personality and charisma. I think it worked. U2's members: Bono, um... The Edge... someone named Adam? And another guy I think. Even you in your post! You're all, "I saw Bono. The rest of the band was there too."

So a Bono sighting is most definitely worthy of blogging activity. Very exciting. Word.