Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Rage

I rarely get mad. I'm more of a sad type. When I do get mad, I freak out, a lot, and yell about whatever's making me mad to people who aren't involved with the madness-inducing incident or person. People generally think this is cute and don't take me seriously, which makes me even more mad.

Because I don't get mad often, when I do get mad I can't really deal with it. Especially when I'm mad to the point where I feel like I should probably deal with it. And then I get freaked out, because I feel really mad and pissed and victimized and can't deal with that on top of knowing that I need to confront something in order to feel better.

Tonight I am extremely pissed off. Livid. Going fucking nuts. It's not serious. It's my fucking glasses. Again. I am pissed off because I gave these glasses people a ridiculous amount of money and they can't do their job. If your job is to cut lenses, then just cut lenses!!!!

The sequence of events:

Monday - purchase two pairs of glasses
Tuesday - pick up glasses but both glasses are incorrect prescription (and, both are different incorrect prescriptions, which is weird, because they're supposed to be cut from the same glass)
Friday - pick up glasses again and they are correct prescription!
Saturday - have to to back because glasses were incorrectly adjusted and are crooked
Sunday - have to go back again because noticed a chip in one lens and glue on other lens of one pair
Monday - pick up new glasses, again... note: this is the THIRD PAIR
Tuesday - packing for Thanksgiving and want to see self in third pair of conservative pair, start watching TV, and realize right eye is fucking WRONG PRESCRIPTION AGAIN

Now.

I have been to this place, which is nowhere near where I work or live, 6 out of the last 9 days.

I gave them tons of money.

Fucking inexcusable.

I went last week knowing that I'd be able to wear my new glasses which actually fit and are not disintegrating home for Thanksgiving.

I don't have time for this!!! Who has time for this!??!? And I paid LOTS OF MONEY for this!!!!

So now, tomorrow, the day before Thanksgiving, I have to go back AGAIN. I will not be able to wear conservative pair home for Thanskgiving. I am pissed about having to do this, as it is going to rain tomorrow and as I will be rushing around trying to finish IP's and tissue culture in order to leave by 3 pm to get to my train in time.

I have to go there and force myself to throw a fit. I should have thrown a fit last time. I just couldn't do it because Roommate was there and I felt calm. Some people are good at fit-throwing. I am just not the type. I try to be patient. Right now I am impatient. How do you good fit-throwers do it? You don't back down. You rule.

I have to demand my money back. I think what I am going to do is pay for the frames and demand the money back on the lenses and just have lenses made somewhere else, because this is fucking absurd. Hopefully they'll then say "No! Don't do that - we'll give you the money back on the lenses and we'll make them again for you. In fact, we'll give you the money back on the frames, too, for all your inconvenience."

Right.

I have to be firm.

Man am I pissed.

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Tips on how to throw an effective fit: Don't actually throw a fit. Remain calm. Begin by assuming that these people are decent and will treat you with courtesy and respect; therefor you must treat them with courtesy and respect. Calmly explain the situation. Tell them in a reasonable tone how many times you have had to come back to the store so that they could correct their mistakes. Point out how much money you have spent and tell them that you are dissatisfied; you should not have to revisit their store so many times. Tell them you want them to remove the lenses and refund your money; you are going to take the frames to a different store. In an ideal world, they will say, "No! We are so sorry! We will fix the lenses AND refund your money!"

If they don't do that, insist that they give you your money back. If they are at all rude to you, insist on ALL of your money back. Cut your losses and get glasses a different store. Ask to speak to the manager. But don't throw a screaming fit, because then they will not want to help you, they will feel defensive and will want to shut you up, not satisfy you.

The only problem with this is that if they refuse to refund your money, you have no recourse but letter writing and small claims court. So that's a decision you'll have to make on your own based on how strongly you feel about the principle of the thing. But certainly inform them that the manager/owner will be receiving a letter of complaint, and you will send one to the Better Business Bureau also.

That's my feeling anyway. Don't let them reduce you to a screamer.

Beth said...

I know you are not a screamer, Leah. But, you can work the Jedi mind powers! Remember that time we saw some stupid movie at the Cheri and the projector broke? I had to run around and talk to about 5 million people before I got my money back, which was ridiculous, and I had to convince that woman to give us three free tickets to come back and see a movie some other time. (Which I don't think we ever did, but that's beside the point). I was all, "YOU WILL GIVE US THREE TICKETS". "I can give you one". "YOU WILL GIVE US THREE TICKETS". "I'm giving you one." "YOU WILL GIVE US THREE TICKETS." "Okay, fine." You don't need to be a screamer, you just need to be solid. Calm and solid. Like a rock. You are an island. If you feel yourself getting emotional, let yourself cry. If you cry in front of them and refuse to leave the store until they solve the problem, they will bend over backwards to get please you and get rid of you. Use your emotions to your advantage!