Friday, June 16, 2006

Perty

The talk of the lab today is my fabulous new haircut. I decided to go back to S, for whom I was a hair model ages ago at the fancy schmancy salon downstairs and who gave me the best haircut I've ever had.

S cut my hair way back when - maybe in January? I needed to have it cut a few months later (too long), and went to the Aveda Academy and hated the haircut. That's when D "fixed it," thus resulting in my having to grow it out for a few more months (torture) and get another haircut at the Aveda Academy, which I also hated, but I can't really blame anyone because they didn't really have anything to work with but 4 zillion different lengths of hair.

I grew that one out a bit, and went to see S this morning to get a haircut with style. We're talking bangs, folks, which she and her teacher called "fringe."

I came back to work (two and a half hours later, which was good given that last time she cut my hair it took three and a half hours) and everyone was very excited. Even the men!

JG is a kid who used to work in my department. He was sadly re-structured into another department but thankfully still works only three bays away. He's a true New Yorker - born and raised in the hood in Queens, complete with uncle who is his own age. Despite having gone to college at BC, he retains his Queens accent and sensibilities but for some reason digs Phil Collins. JG, who performed karaoke for the first time in honor of my birthday despite being scared to death, is awesome on many levels, but is my new favorite person on the planet.

He said "Did you do something different with your hair?"

"I just got a haircut at the fancy schmancy salon downstairs."

"Oh, it looks pretty."

Pretty!!!

Who says that anymore!?

I think I blushed. I didn't know what to say. I said "Awww... shucks..." and truly meant it.

Words like those make the days of 30 year olds with insecurities about their hairstyles and their fading looks. The beauty of this sort of thing is that people like JG don't even know that they're making people's days. They're just honest and cute and unafraid.

Happy, I am.

Pretty! Weeee!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Fading looks? Please, Leah, you are not in danger of losing your good looks. You are not fading! You are just as beautiful as ever!