Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Guilt Over Returns

Two members of my archless family have recommended to me that I purchase arch supports from a convenience store to help my flat-footedness. Father swears by them (after having converted to them from his custom-made ones that were apparently the source of all of his problems) and Brother bought some prior to coming to visit this past weekend to help him endure the seemingly endless walking in NYC.

I went to Duane Reade on Saturday night and decided to buy blue Dr. Scholl's liquid arch support things that looked really really super awesome.

I wore them for about 7 hours on Sunday (including about 3.5 hours of straight walking) and have never, ever experienced such pain in my feet in my entire life. Oh my god I thought I was going to die. I actually had to take a bus a few blocks just to get a rest! And then I had to go home, sit for like an hour, put on my old ones and then go grocery shopping.

I decided that I would try to return them. I don't know what I was worried about. They could always say "no" to my audacity. D said "You can return anything," which is true so why do I feel so guilty?

I went to Duane Reade last night and was all embarrassed and nervous and expecting some sort of ordeal.

I said "Do you take returns?"

"Yes, but I have no idea how."

She called The Manager.

"I'd like to return this," I said to him.

"OK."

And that was that!

The end.

I wanted to point out the broken packaging.

Or the fact that I'd used the product.

Or the fact that I'd used the product, under my feet, for hours upon hours in New York City.

But he just let me return them, no questions asked.

I feel so very guilty, but I have no idea why.

No comments: