Friday, June 02, 2006

I Want A Potato Knish This Minute

Been away from blogging for a bit.

This is because I am working too much. I shouldn't complain - I am paid to work and not to blog or read other blogs, but I miss blogging and other blogs! Nevertheless...

Here are some things that have been happening:

I've been having lots of weird dreams, many about losing my job. Last night, however, I dreamt about a hockey game. Brad Pitt was on one of the teams.

***

Magically I have stopped craving juice! The all-water beverage diet has become acceptable. I still, however, would give an arm for a cookie. Or a piece of candy. This world is cruel to people who aren't supposed to eat simple sugars. It's very difficult to eat out. I suppose this is all a blessing in disguise because it is clear that I will have to start bringing my lunch and will hence save money, although will be extremely uptight since I will have to eat with coworkers and will therefore be unable to relax at all during the day and more importantly will be unable to read. Why can't there be a quiet room anywhere? Even for the purpose of work! What if someone wants to read a paper in quiet? There is nowhere to go.

***

The other night I had the unfortunate experience of wanting to cross the street while a garbage truck was emptying the city's public trash cans. One good thing about NYC is that there is a trash can on every street corner, so there's no excuse for trash on the ground. Except, of course, when the trash-man picks up the trash can and drops everything out of it, empties what remains into the garbage truck, and then puts the trash can back without picking up the mass of litter he dropped on the ground. I didn't pick it up because I was in a rush, but seriously. Shouldn't he have?

***

As you know, many of my pet peeves involve elevator etiquette. I experienced a new one today. I got in, going down, on the 7th floor. There were 4 other people in the elevator. As soon as we started descending, one guy started frantically pressing "Door Open." I don't know why. The door was not going to open. And it wasn't going to open faster by pressing it repeatedly in advance. Maybe it would open fasted if he pressed it as soon as we got to the lobby, but why press it for the entire descent!?

***

Working like an idiot. I have to try all of these new techniques and experiments and can't focus on any of them, which means they will all fail. There's no chance. I am having advance-stress about this. I am also unmotivated because of possible job loss. Why work like an idiot when there will be absolutely zero reward?

***

We got to work on our own images last night in Photoshop class. This was a big waste of time for me, as most of the class is, as I could have been doing it at home, on the couch, which I don't get to sit on ever. Because we were working on our own images, people in the class started to be social for the first time. This one guy cornered the TA and they got to talking shop, and he said things like "They don't want to me to work in the city anymore. Do you understand what I'm saying? They don't want me to. I'm not supposed to be. Do you understand me? People will kill you in this industry. People want me dead, I'm not supposed to be working in this town. Do you understand what I'm saying?" Nope. Last time I checked being a photographer wasn't the same thing as being like a CIA operative or something.

***

WC is coming into town this weekend so I will get to play tourist. He wants to see the Statue of Liberty and I have no idea how to do that. And I haven't had time to find out due to franticness at work.

***

The Stills
and Rogue Wave tonight in Hoboken! I mean The Stills and Rogue Wave tonight!!! In Hoboken.

***

D is awesome and taped the National Spelling Bee for me last night while I was at work. He is even more awesome because he called as my class was ending to say "I wanted to come and meet you at class with your umbrella because its raining, but I can't find your umbrella. Call me if you know where it is and you want me to come and meet you." I adore him. Fortunately I had my umbrella with me, and fortunately one of the things I love to do in order to de-stress is walk in the rain, so I walked home in the rain without my umbrella and felt sane when I returned. We waited for the spelling bee to end, and then began watching the tape from the beginning. I fell in love with this 13-year-old boy named Michael Chrystie, and once he was out I lost interest. We kept watching for a bit but I had a headache so I decided to go to bed and watch the rest later, but I accidentally found out who won so now all the suspense is gone. I guess it doesn't matter, though, because I was already disappointed that Michael Chrystie didn't win. These kids are genuises. It's insane. They did this weird thing where the parents would sit on the stage waiting for the kids to go out, and when the kids went out they would walk over to their parents to be consoled and would stay with them for the rest of the bee, but there were no chairs for the kids! Weird.

***

I haven't worked on the other blog either. Nor have I read or relaxed or really done anything I've set out to do since I got back from "vacation." Ugh. Next weekend. Next weekend I will be oh-so-productive and will feel good about things.

***

Have good weekends, kids! Until next week...

No comments: