Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long Weekend Too Short - Part III

- Awoke and headed to Mt. Greylock, the highest point in MA. Gorgeous. Serene. Too many people.

- Ate Indian food with tofu! Yes!

- Bought a Father's Day card even though I suck and don't know when Father's Day is.

- Went on a small hike to a waterfall but we didn't make it to the waterfall because there was a 5-year-old-kid by himself. I said "I'm worried about that kid," and followed him, although I wasn't too enthused about wading through a river with my camera anyway. It turned out that the 5-year-old was with his teenaged brother and his stupid friends, who just lost track of him. Dear god I almost lost my mind. Luckily there was a mother on the trail with her many kids and she ripped the kid a new one. Phew. I gave them dirty looks though, and asked D, who has weird ideas regarding non-discipline, if he would consider disciplining his child if his child ever thought such a thing acceptable.

- Headed back to the hotel where we didn't go in the hot tub because the hot tub was closed! Bastards!

- Decided, then, to go to an earlier showing of X-Men 3 after dinner. But oh! How do you get dinner on a Sunday in a sleep town? You don't! Because everything is closed! BASTARDS!!! We ended up being forced to eat at the Holiday Inn restaurant, which wasn't completely terrible but where they only have carbs on the menu. I got a grilled cheese that was spicey. Right.

- Saw X-Men 3, at a theater where people were instead seeing things like Poseidon and The DaVinci Code. I've decided that they were all seeing those other movies because they all saw X-Men the night it opened since clearly there is nothing else to do. Enjoyed the movie despite the absurd science, gratuitous mutants, lame dialogue, and nonsensical occurances.

- Ran into the stupid kids from the trail as we left the theater! The kept staring at us and possibly antagonizing us. We didn't know why. They kept saying things like "Oh, I love you" and "Oh, you're so beautiful" and just staring at us. D said "Were those kids antagonizing us?" "Yes." "Why?" "I have no idea. Maybe they picked up on the vibes that I wanted to kill them on the trail." "I don't think so. They didn't seem mad at us." "Maybe they recognize us as not-from-around-here and are intrigued and have crushes on us. Because we're thin. And different." "Yes, I think that's it," he said, in all seriousness. I felt old and uptight and wanted to leave for NYC immediately.

- I also felt awful from the sandwich and said "Do you mind if we stop by the supermarket to get something to eat?" Silly me, because it was CLOSED. And so was everything else. We drove all the way back to the theater to stop by a gas station, where I bought nuts which didn't help because it was a lost cause by that point.

- Went back to the hotel, put on bathing suit and robe again, only to find that the hot tub was closed, STILL.

No comments: