Friday, February 03, 2006

PLUG

D and I went to the PLUG Awards last night at Webster Hall. The PLUG Awards are thrown by and for hipsters to award independent music. While he was reading the nominees, D said “Huh… maybe I am hip…” when he realized that he reads all of the magazines and zines nominated, and that he owned most of the albums in all of the genres honored. “Admit it! You are a hipster!”

There were a bunch of sad rich kids and messy hair and I felt old and gross. D said he felt "corporate."

The first performance was by Beans with Holy F*@k, which was amazing! I could have watched them for hours. Beans is a rapper (I think he’s from NY but I can’t be sure) and Holy F*@k is a band, somewhat electronica. They have a guy who plays film? We have no idea. Regardless, the performance was great and I will see them together whenever they are together. It made me nostalgic for the days when I went to hip hop shows non-stop. I long for the days of crowd unity and call and response. There is no energy like the energy in the audience of a good hip hop show.

Awards were then presented (12 nominees in each category – annoying) while they set up for Chad Van Gaalen’s set. I have been listening to his album as of late and have been digging it. Will I ever listen to it again after last night? Probably not. This was yet another instance of a live show ruining your opinion of an artist you used to love. The thing I love about his album is the quietness, the subtlety, the textures. He played last night with an electric guitar and a drummer, nothing else. The vocals were abrasive, nobody paid attention.

One thing I learned last night is that indie folk is called “Americana.” I apparently listen to a lot of Americana. The horror.

Celebration played next, and they were awesome, if not kind of scary. They will be huge.

We were hungry and wanted pizza and popcorn, but I made wait because I knew that Matisyahu was presenting, and because I am obsessed, I didn’t want to risk missing him. I don’t know anything about his music (I’ve heard it, but don’t know what to think about Jewish reggae) but know that I am intrigued. He came out with C Rayz Walz (who I saw at Lyricist Lounge at Avalon with LBF a million years ago) and, oh my god, he BEATBOXED while CRW rapped the nominees for the category they were presenting! So here’s the thing: Matisyahu is good at beatboxing. I was very impressed.

Here’s the other thing – I don’t think he’s Hasidic. He wasn’t wearing full-on Hasidic grab. If anything, he looked like a gigantic Amish man (which, as you know, made me double blissed).

What else… Cage was up next and I was unimpressed, so we spent their entire set eating. I ate a bag of popcorn while D inhaled a hot dog. The Perceptionists (Mr. Lif and Akrobatik) were next, and they were ok.

By then I was exhausted (I have had some sort of flu-ish thing the past week and I just couldn’t keep my eyes open), so we headed back to D’s and watched Strangers with Candy and then passed out.

We had fun. It was fun to be out, and I am such a fan of the 25 minute set. I like going to shows, but since I, in my adulthood, have become attention-deficient, I only have limited tolerance for performances - 25 minutes is the perfect length. If anything, I’d prefer three-song sets. Unless it’s Radiohead, in which case they can play for eternity.

So that’s that. I am still sick today (although starting to feel better) but enjoying the fact that it is over 60 degrees outside. I went out for lunch without a jacket and was warm. The weekend will be fun – M and A are en route right now, and we will see musical theater shoes and gaze upon unaffordable shoes and modern art. Hopefully, in addition, much sleep will be had.

Incidentally... I only have 20 more days in my 20's.

Have great weekends!

No comments: