Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Improv

On Friday I received an email from Upright Citizen's Brigade about a show going up featuring Paul Rudd! Oooh! I was very excited and thought "I shall deal with this later..." but never did, as work has been chaotic and stressful for various reasons. I have been so self-absorbed, scattered, trying to figure things out, trying to focus.

I forgot about the email entirely until Sunday, when I mentioned it to D, who is a huge fan of Paul Rudd. I said "I didn't get tickets... and I don't even know when it is..."

D, ever the optimist and never the planner, thought there would be plenty of tickets.

When I got into work yesterday, I checked into things only to learn that it was last night and that there were no tickets! There would, however, be a limited amount of tickets available at the door night-of-show. I told D that if he really wanted to, we could forego the original plan for the night in favor of seeing Paul Rudd improv.

I called UCB and the guy on the phone was of no use. He had no idea how many tickets had been sold, how many would be available, what time to get there, etc.

Hmph.

I decided that getting there by 7:15 would be best (for the 8:00 show). We went on a mission for fondue beforehand, since our Sunday mission for fondue didn't occur because we were both exhausted. I found a place en route to UCB, but when we got there, it was closed for a private function! This is the second time in two months that I have tried to get cheese fondue but have been unable to because of a private function. I was pissed. We ended up eating decent crepes somewhere else.

We got in line and things looked bleak. Very bleak. Luckily Paul Rudd (who is ever-so-small in real life) walked by us in a tux while we were in line, so all was not lost.

We waited for an hour, and they finally said "You can all come in, standing room only!"

I didn't want to, because standing room only for a person who is 5'1'' is different from standing room only for a person who claims to be 6'2'' but is probably taller. But D really wanted to, so we did.

I could see bits and pieces, so it was ok aside from my legs aching.

We got to see Paul Rudd, which is really all that matters. Sadly, however, he was not funny. The format for this improv was a talk show - two hosts and a bartender sidekick from UCB, and then four or five celebrity guests. The two hosts worked really well together. The opening was hilarious, but they didn't give the guests much to work with. I guess seven funny people on a stage, just chatting, isn't as funny as you'd think it would be. I guess its important for people to know each other and their styles to improv effectively. The whole thing was awkward, but still worth $5.

Tonight I fully intend to pick up my laundry and clean my apartment in preparation for M and A's visit this weekend! Unfortunately the postponement of last night's plan may prevent me from buying mint chocolate chip/cookie ice cream for their visit, but that's ok. We will have fun anyway!

And now I must work, or at least do a better job pretending to work.

4 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

We will NOT have fun unless there is mint chocolate chip ice cream. However, we can buy some on Saturday. Or Sunday. So that's OK. Just don't be thinking we're going to skip the mint chocolate chip. Because we're not.

Beth said...

I love Paul Rudd! I am so jealous that you got to see him... and in a tux! Woo hoo! I am hot for Rudd!

nithya said...

yes, paul rudd is very yummy. he ever looked huge, but how tiny is he? also, i have an excellent source who tells me that he's gay. not that really means anything...other than he's gay. which means booo for us.

Anonymous said...

ahdadr2op hpwhfnvn

yep