Thursday, February 02, 2006

Craig

As you all know, I am enamored with Craigslist. I went to see the documentary 24 Hours on Craigslist last night. It was not only a love letter to the sitet, but a great time capsule for life right now. I think watching this in 20 years will be informative and hilarious. It covered every sort of ad, from exercise classes for new mothers in which they run around the mall with their babies in carriages to casual encounters to an Indian boy trying to lose his virginity to people looking for roommates to someone trying to sell a bunch of doors.

It was awesome.

I have been using Craigslist since around 2002, when I got a David Sedaris. This is a weird story – I bought four tickets to hear David Sedaris at the Wang Center. The Evil Sandwich didn’t want a ticket because it was happening around the time when things were getting super shaky, so I bought tickets for me, two friends, and a friend of the second friend. The Evil Sandwich then decided that he wanted to come, and I was determined to find him a ticket to the sold-out show. This is how I learned about Craigslist. Not many people were using it in Boston at the time. I found a girl selling her ticket, and was thrilled! As we exchanged information, we both realized that she was the friend of my friend and she had decided not to go! Which was awesome, because then The Evil Sandwich didn’t have to sit by himself.

What are the odds?

Since then, I have acquired the following from Craigslist:

1. a bunch of terrible attempts at music collaborations
2. a fantastic musical collaboration that resulted in an album and a new friend
3. a bunch of bad dates (and therefore a bunch of good stories)
4. a date that resulted in dating someone for a few months and a really good story about a burrito
5. some more terrible attempts at music collaborations
6. a roommate for my move to NYC
7. an apartment in Williamsburg
8. an amazing blue couch
9. an apartment in NYC

I have also sold the following on Craigslist:

1. a broken digital camera
2. a Pinback ticket
3. a full-size keyboard
4. a garment rack
5. two book shelves
6. a lava lamp
7. a palm pilot
8. a laptop bag
9. some books
10. a pink lamp
11. a red lamp
12. D’s blue chairs

I'm sure there are more things, I just can't remember. I also can’t imagine life without Craigslist – looking for an apartment using the newspaper, trying to sell/buy things on EBay, etc. I may have to sell my piano soon, and I am hopeful that Craigslist will find me a worthy buyer.

Does anyone have any interesting Craigslist stories?

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Noooooo! Not the piano!

nithya said...

i really find the discussion sections to be a great resource. i got some great excercise tips from the fitness section.

i second your sentiment, mo:

NOOOOOOO!