Thursday, February 02, 2006

Finally Fondue

Before heading downtown to watch the Craigslist documentary, D and I went to the restaurant we tried to go to earlier this week as an end to our quest for fondue. This was only, of course, after D called to verify that they were indeed open and that they were not holding some sort of corporate function.

This place was lovely for many reasons, one of which was the portion size. Little portions for people with little appetites like D and myself! The cheese fondue, which was served with apple and carrot wedges, some sort of raisin-having bread and foccacia, was miniature! Everything there is designed to be shared, so we ate a small pizza after polishing off the small fondue.

We then shared a little caramel apple fondue for dessert. This came with apples for dipping, and then goodies to put on the caramel apple fondue once the apples had been dipped. Coconut shavings, macademia nuts, and chocolate. Yummmm.

All of this was reasonably priced. D had a ginger ale and I had a cranberry juice. When D and I decided that we wanted another ginger ale and cranberry juice, D said "Do you know which restaurants I love? Restaurants with free refills. We'll see if I end up loving this restaurant."

When the bill arrived, D said "I'll get dinner, you get the movie."

I made out on that deal!

D said "You're not going to believe this."

"No free refills?"

"No, hardly," he said, despondent, then giggling.

"What?"

"Two drinks are $8."

"$8 total with refills?"

"No, two drinks are $8."

Four drinks, non-alcoholic, for $16. You can get an entire bottle of ginger ale for half of what it cost for the glass.

Ah, New York City. I said "Wait, four beverages are the same as two desserts? That's obscene."

I think we will go back, though, because the fondue was cute. But we will, of course, only drink water. Ridiculous.

No comments: