Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'll Wear Chucks for the Rest Of My Life

Date: 2.25.06
Genre: Musical-esque



Description:

It's been a long time since I've wrote a song. My intention with My Mundane Life In Song was to have a song blog. The only text would be related to the songs, and everything I thought blog-worthy would be in song form.

Needless to say that didn't happen, and since the selling of my beloved keyboard (yet another reason to resent NYC - darn you rents and space constraints!), I've been less inclined to record. My piano is out of tune, the audio I get with my internal mic is atrocious, and piano alone isn't very appealing when the artist sucks at arranging.

On top of this, I have been feeling, well, mundane lately. Nothing exciting has been happening. When I first moved here there were zany things happening on a daily basis. Now that I am settled (in NYC and with life in general), I feel like I have little to say, little inspiration. I must admit that I secretly hope for bad moods to help me with ideas.

As you well know, my one-track mind has lately been devoted to age.

Hence the song.

Notes: piano is so. out. of. tune. I think this is due to the fluctuation in temperature in the apartment. Second, I think this song would be much better on guitar (hint hint hint!). Third, this song is actually a re-make of a song I wrote for my ill-fated musical. The original version is a more up-tempo bickering scene between a boy and a girl in a vintage clothing store. Fourth, I love the bridge oh-so-much-more than the rest of the song. I may actually take the bridge and make a separate song out of it.

Lyrics:

All girls reach an age when they start to compare
The size of their ass and the greys in their hair
To girls who are younger than them
To girls who remind them of when
Time didn't matter and the fellas came callin'
When ultra low rise didn't make them start ballin'
Those were the days
I could have my way

The clock is ticking, I can't relax
Options are scarce, I'm afraid that's a fact
I cringe when I ponder short hair
I know I need an adult coat to wear
The era of Converse must draw to a close
It's not terribly mature to postpone
Growing up
I hate it but

The thoughts of karaoke that once danced in my head
Have been replaced by baby shoes
And closet space
And stackable washers and dryers
And mortgage rates
And pots and pans
And plans
And indie bands
There are so many red shoes to buy
There are so many restaurants to try
There are so many nights left to cry

I'll keep my hair long even when its
Crazy white wires that are prone to fits
I'll go to shows 'til I'm 85
I'll wear Chucks for the rest of my life
Changing careers, having a husband and offspring
If these things all happen they will be frightening
But I won't crumble
Because the 30's are fun!

No comments: