Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Edith Frost at Joe's Pub (Alternate Title: All Praise the Adult Rock Show)

I went to see Edith Frost last night at Joe's Pub. D and I made table reservations which involved a $12 per person food/drink minimum, but who cares? We got to sit!

Joe's Pub is awesome. The lighting is amazing, the seats are couches made of velvet, the sound is exquisite. When the opening band was setting up, it was completely and therefore eerily silent.

I ordered a glass of wine and D ordered a raspberry cosmpolitan and ginger ale.

The opening band was torture. I don't understand the choosing of opening bands. On the one hand, I imagine artists want to choose a band that will appeal to the audience, so, in theory, the opening band should be similar to the band you have paid to see. On the other hand, I imagine artists don't want direct competition for their type of music that could result in the audience actually preferring the opening band over the artist they have paid to see. This could be bad.

But why why why tour with a band that sucks!?

Once the torture was over, Edith came out and melted my heart. First of all, she looks like an Edith (or, as D said, she has "the best old lady name"). Second of all, she has the same unruly haircut that I am currently rocking. Third of all, she is not glamorous and therefore adorable. Fourth of all, she was AMAZING. Her voice is crisp and perfect and sweet and pained and wonderful. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen.

What was interesting was that she was accompanied by the members of the opening band minus the lead singer, and they were great too! I kept wondering if the lead singer was cross, hearing his band sound so much better with Edith.

Contributing to the show's enjoyment was, of course, the sitting down on luscious couches, along with being able to see, being able to relax, being served.

And, in customary New York form, when the bill was presented to us we were mortified to see that each of D's two ginger ales cost $5!!! $5 for a little glass of ginger ale!!! Who do these people think they are? We weren't terribly upset since the tickets were only $12, which was a steal.

After the show, I bought a CD from Edith and didn't know what to say. I just said "Thank you," instead of explaining to her how her show was amazing and how I wish I wrote her songs and how she is an inspiration for people like me who are a bit older and who try to write music that sounds like hers.

Sigh. The show made both D and I so happy.

I think I may end up missing New York.

No comments: