Friday, December 02, 2005

Netflix Sadness

D and I went through our NetFlix queue last night, and realized that most of our chosen movies are movies he wants to see or wants me to see.

There were a lot of "Well, I feel like I should see this, but do I really want to?" on my part.

We decided that the best thing to do would be to have two separate NetFlix accounts.

I don't know if I can afford NetFlix on my own.

I am sad, because I love NetFlix. I love them even more now that they have candy-cane patterned stickers and cute little snowflakes on the envelopes for the holidays. I love them for their fast turnover, their user-friendly website, their enabling me to see movies I'd never have otherwise seen.

I don't love, however, how they make me boring. D and I are both obsessive, list-making and list-checking-off-of personalities. NetFlix neutralizes us at times, and we have gone to far fewer movies now that NetFlix is in our lives.

I don't want to live like this. If I didn't have NetFlix, I'd probably rent a movie once a month. D is more of a compulsive renter, so this is more his thing. I'd rather read books and go to the movies and work on music.

I think I may downgrade to the 1 DVD-at-a-time membership, which is only $10 a month. If I watched one movie a week it would make it worth it, and I can definitely find time to watch one movie a week.

This will allow me to embark upon Project Watch Every Movie Musical Ever Made. I will only watch movies I really want to see instead of watching movies because they are there. I will be a new, productive person!

The only problem with this is that I will never see D.

But we'll figure it out.

Shared NetFlix account, precursor to domestic partnership, it's been real, but it's just not working out for me.

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Make sure Camp is on the list. I almost rented Camp last weekend, but I just couldn't do that to A, even though it was free.

Anonymous said...

is going to a movie really all that cooler than renting one?

-paul c.