Monday, December 05, 2005

Sleep

I love sleep.

If I had my way, I'd sleep every day until noon.

Back in my youth, I would regularly sleep past noon on the weekends.

Adults would say "You're so lazy!"

They would also say "You're not going to be able to do that when you get older."

"No! I will always sleep late! No matter how much responsibility I have! I will produce and then raise children who also sleep late!"

"No, you won't physically be able to sleep late. It gets harder as you get older. You'll be up at 6am whether you like it or not."

"Whatever. That will never happen to me."

Hah.

These days I can, on occasion, sleep until 11 am.

But now, instead of wasting my weekends sleeping all day, I waste my weekends trying to sleep all day and being annoyed that I can't sleep.

This was of importance this weekend, as I am sick with a slight flu. The beginning of the flu was Thursday, so the crucial period coincided with the weekend. I thought "No problem! I will kick this flu's ass by sleeping all weekend!"

No such luck. Despite a late night at the company party on Friday (where, incidentally, there was no drama), I was up at 9:00 on Saturday morning. I got a coveted 8 hours on Saturday night, but it was frustrating since I went to bed at midnight and was then up at 8:00 on Sunday morning!

D said "But you got 8 hours!"

"No! The point of going to bed at midnight was to be able to get twelve hours."

I guess I'm getting old. I feared this. I wasn't entirely sure, but now that I have this crucial data point it's confirmed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huh. I routinely get up past noon these days. Of course, I've been going to bed at 4am or later, you know, because of "writing" or drinking or both.

Perhaps, you should start "writing" or drinking in the wee hours like me.