Monday, July 11, 2005

Science and Comics

I love that comic books and science have been so intertwined historically. It is to be expected that superpowers result from something scientific - mutations in DNA, cosmic phenomena, insect bites etc. In addition, many characters in comic books are scientists. It is not uncharacteristic to see people in lab coats in comics.

We have been lucky enough to be given a ton of movies adapted from comic books in recent years. I've seen a lot of them. Not all, but enough to be peeved about the following:

Is it so freaking difficult to get a scientific consultant for these movies?

Seriously.

I'm not even talking about content. I'm talking about the infuriating way in which people articulate science-isms onscreen.

The content is annoying too, but really. Can't there be a scientist on the set to help actors learn to how to ACT LIKE A SCIENTIST?!?

I would do it for FREE. I imagine any scientist would! I'd wear a lab coat and safety glasses and gloves. This being said, I'm certain that these multimilliondollarscosting blockbusters might have a couple bucks to spare for me to spend a day on the set to help people be comfortable with science words.

I am up in arms because of Fantastic Four (which, incidentally, was only mostly terrible).

D and I snickered when Reed said "recombinant DNA" and when he made a machine that generated the exact opposite random mutation (s) that caused the Fantastic Four to have crazy powers, so that they could, again, be normal.

Right.

And who can forget Blade 3? Far worse.

The only science-related movie I have been super pleased with and even excited about was The Hulk. I didn't love the movie, but I loved the labs! They were super accurate. They even had Qiagen kits!!! I felt like I was the only one who was aware of the best cameo appearance in a film that has ever hit the screen! And, even better, someone in the movie had to excuse themselves because their timer went off! YES!!!! The only bad thing was that nobody really seemed to care when their labs and life's work were destroyed.

So yes. I will help for free. Seriously. I will do research and show actors how to convincingly hold a pipet and how not to stumble over the word "genome."

In related ranting, I am extremely jealous of Jessica Alba's hair.

That is all.

2 comments:

Beth said...

You mean Blade 2. Blade 2 was the one that had the line, "Smells like neurotoxin". I agree, the science in Blade 3 didn't make much more sense... but at least there was some effort... remember the computer modeling? Nice touch.

Leah Lar said...

Oh, but Beth, remember the blind geneticist from Blade 3? Right. That one. Yeah. I think that trumps "neurotoxin," although, yeah, neurotoxin. As if there's one. And as if it smells. Heh. I wish the world were like science movies, in which antedotes were derived from approximately one hour of labor.