Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Jobs

I watched Rivers and Tides last night, the documentary about Andy Goldsworthy. In case you don't know who Andy Goldsworthy is (I didn't prior to hearing about this documentary a few years ago), he is a sculptor who creates works out of natural objects such as leaves or icicles and assembles them so that they'll be destroyed by nature. He does this to study time and the interaction between the earth and its creations.

Blah blah blah.

Anyway, the documentary was awesome and you should all see it. It is very serene and calm and lovely until this one scene that takes you by surprise in which some dude basically takes down a sheep and then pulls a BABY SHEEP - LAMB - from it!

You're like "Wtf!? What!? Why!??! AHHHH!!"

When this happened, I turned to D and said "Isn't it crazy how different his job is from ours?"

So crazy.

Like there are people out there who raise sheep and help them give birth.

Then there are people who make clothes or food out of animals.

And then there are artists who take wool and gently place it atop stone walls to make a statement about energy and time.

And then there are people who clone sheep.

In the movie there were people who put up a wall. I thought "Huh. What if my job was to make walls? Would that be better or worse than what I do?"

I think it would be awesome if, like in schools, there was some sort of job exchange program. Like you could go on exchange with someone who works on a farm, or who owns a laundromat, or who builds bridges, or who deep sea fishes, or who taste tests ice cream, or who drives a zamboni.

D said "The world is so beautiful. What are we doing here?"

I have no idea what the answer to that question is.

I suddenly want to buy a farm and make things out of twigs.

3 comments:

Banalities said...

I'm so confused. Some dude takes down a sheep and pulls a human baby from it? Or a sheep baby?

(Which, according to the dictionary, is known as a 'lamb'.)

Banalities said...

Hmm. That last parenthetical comment may have come across as caustic sarcasm. Just to clear things up: I meant it as a self-mocking reference to my use of 'sheep baby'.

Leah Lar said...

Ummm... sheep baby. Lamb. Yes.

Interesting you should mention this, because last night we were all "Sheep? Lamb? What's the difference? Is a male sheep still a sheep?" I am glad you cleared this up.