Saturday, July 09, 2005

Damn You, Fitted Sheet!

The fitted sheet is even more challenging after you've been drinking lots.

I never thought the fitted sheet could be *more* of a pain in the ass.

Although I am coming to the realization that something is weird about my bed. No full sized sheets fit. I momentarily thought "Shit! Maybe my bed is queen sized!" but then the sheets really wouldn't fit at all. Right? And the bed itself probably wouldn't have fit in any of my apartments.

I had a minor laundry issue today - it was pouring on my way to drop of my sheets/towels at laundromat-of-choice. Consequently, the bag and its contents were soaked by the time I arrived. When I got there, I said to the woman behind the counter "How are you doing today?" She eyed me suspiciously and said "Fine, Leee-ah" and then smiled as though she had something to hide. "Oh, good," I said awkwardly. It looked as though she had something to say, so I said "Is everything ok?" She went on to explain that the laundromat will be closed for the next week for renovations.

"Oh," I said, standing confused with my heavy bag of wet laundry. "Huh." I had three options:

1. Bring the wet bag of laundry home and be late to work.
2. Bring the wet bag of laundry all the way to work and either
a) drop it off to be cleaned during the day or
b) bring it back home after letting it sit around wet all day or
3. Leave it at the laundromat and NOT have to carry it anywhere while it was heavy and wet.

I opted for 3, because I didn't feel like walking around in the rain anymore with a bag of soaked sheets and towels weighing me down.

I mention this because I picked up the sheets tonight and decided to drop them off at a laundromat on 39th street that turns out to be CHEAPER! And they're high tech and have everything in a computer system! Yes, it is out of my way, but it seems like a better option. I'll see how small a wad they fold the sheets into and will make my decision on whether or not to convert to the more upscale operation.

I just got back from a drama-filled night at Bench Buddy's - actually, first night of drama in NYC to date - complete with fighting on the street and tears shed at the party by yours truly! Also, I accidentally knocked a bottle of beer off of his 5th story roof onto the street. It wasn't mine. I didn't even know it was next to me. That could have been a bad scene. Nevertheless.... I am exhausted and drunk and got home and realized that there are no sheets on my bed. I had to choose between flannel or the yellow-t-shirt-guest-sheets for the bed for tonight, and for the love of GOD the yellow sheets don't fit the bed!!! It's not a particularly thick mattress. Maybe I have just randomly and coincidentally only bought lame/ill-fitting sheets. I don't know. But seriously. It should not be this difficult to make a bed. The sheet is on the corners but not on either of the long sides of the bed.

Oh well. It's only for one night.

I really want to sleep, but I have to wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheets are so damned expensive. I bought a queen-sized bed for $20 from my neighbour, but spent $150 on bedding (sheets, comforter, anti-allergen material and other miscellanea). Crazy.