Monday, June 06, 2005

Lenses

I buy eyeglasses like some people buy shoes. Or purses, depending on who you are.

I bought another pair of glasses this weekend (and was an evil enabler of LBF who visited from Boston and left NYC with not one but two fabulous pairs of cat eye glasses with rhinestones!) and thought "I haven't had my eyes checked in over three years. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make sure my prescription hasn't changed before I put lenses into the new pair."

I made an appointment with Pearl because, gasp, I get a $5 discount on the eye exam through my insurance! Yes!

I arrived late, of course, this morning and had to fill out much paperwork, indicating whether or not I experience various eye-related problems. The paperwork made me feel healthy because I haven't had any eye-related issues other than being basically blind, but whatever! No double vision! No weird tearing! I checked "Yes" for chronic headaches, but I know that those are not eye-related.

The eye doctor. Weird dude. Very socially awkward. Very nervous. I'm not entirely sure that he was not an eye-checking cyborg.

He robotically said "Put your things on that chair, sit on that other chair, and I'll be back in a moment."

While waiting for him, I started to look around his office and couldn't help but stare at this horrific collage of photos he'd arranged on two of the walls. First of all, the man has no eye for layout. It was unbearable to look at, and the frames were awful. There were about 50 or so shots of various people on a beach. The sun was setting. Who were these people? I have no idea, because they were all in silhouette.

Silhouette shots are fine. I dig a good silhouette. Sometimes they are even pretty. The sunset was lovely. But, endless silhouette shots = overkill.

And, endless silhouette shots in an eye doctor's office are just mean. Is he trying to make everyone think that they have macular degeneration? I was like "Wait, have I gone blind? Wtf is with these photos? Is there something weird with the light in here? Can he see who those people are?"

Also, is he trying to hide the fact that he's plastered the exam room with personal photos which is bizarre, or does he think that he's being aht-sy?

I have no idea.

When he came back, he was all "You'll have to excuse me for a moment. I was out on Friday and they brought someone in to cover for me and there is schmootz all over my desk." He proceeded to osbessively-compulsively clean the desk with Ethanol for five minutes, and then began wiping down everything this other guy could have possibly touched, including pens.

We chatted while he checked my eyes, and I explained to him that no, I don't want contact lenses, because I have worn eyeglasses since the age of 5 and therefore feel no urge not to wear them. I've never had clear peripheral vision and I've been just fine, thanks!

Smarmy and without hints of robot he said "So, I guess I'm one of the few priveleged people in the world who have gotten to see your face without glasses."

Ew.

Yes, obsessive-compulsive automaton eye doctor, you are amongst the priveleged!

It's true, and, well, that's just weird. Unsettling.

Ewwwwww.

When he was writing out my prescription, he had to get his stamp out from a drawer. He opened the drawer and said "HA! Looks like that other guy on Friday didn't find this stuff!" and then laughed maniacally and explained to me how there is another guy who sometimes covers for him who breaks all of the equipment and uses his stamp to write prescriptions.

I said "Isn't that illegal?" Yes, it is. Right.

I said "Might it not be easier to just not have eye exams on the days you are out?"

What I meant to say was "Maybe you shouldn't take so much time off to frolic on beaches with your oh-so-mysterious friends who exist only in silhouette!"

Anyway, the point of all of this is that lenses cost $210 even with the insurance discount.

THE HORROR.

I will not be purchasing four pairs of lenses from Pearl. I won't even purchase three. I was thinking I'd be willing to give up one of the old pairs, but man. NO!
I won't do it. $210?!?! For one set!?!?

I am considering not getting new lenses at all, but it was really nice to see well. When he handed me a weird spoon and said "Put this over your right eye" I was shocked to learn that I can't really see at all out of my left eye even with the glasses.

I am also pissed because the woman was doing the hard sell on the glare-resistant coating, which is (a) unncessary and (b) annoying because it makes you see worse even though (c) people can apparently see your eyes better. I hate that coating, and I said, before I knew how much the lenses would cost, "Can I get these lenses without the coating?" and the woman was all put out.

I hate people.

No, I'm lying, I don't hate people today because there were two friendly policemen at the laundromat this morning who were excited about my Mighty Mouse t-shirt and who sang "Here I come to save the day!"

I am excited about my Mighty Mouse t-shirt every time I wear it, and was thrilled to be able to share my enthusiasm with singing policemen.

And now I must pour plates.

Until we meet again....

4 comments:

Banalities said...

Anti-reflective sucks! I've always bought it, but never noticed how harmful it was until my previous pair -- when it wore out in splotches, leaving permanent cloudy spots. When I got my current pair, I was adamant they leave the crap off. The difference is amazing! It's especially noticeable when I play sports. I went from the worst person on my softball team last year to the best player in the whole league this year. As a result, I'm now able to have any woman I want and forge instant bonds of friendship with the surliest of men -- even rabid animals will heel and allow me to pet them. All thanks to non-anti-reflective lenses!

Leah Lar said...

Banalities, I have missed your comments. I am glad you are still alive and witty.

Beth said...

apparently I am unable to withstand the pressure of the hard sell. I went to lenscrafters... same deal. those places are factories. I also succumbed to the pressure to get fitted for contacts, even though I already OWN contacts. The doctor convinced me that the new ones are better and cheaper. They are cheaper, actually, but then Marilyn, the super helpful assistant, broke the news that the contact exam would cost $90. WHAT!? $90 to put contacts in my eyes even though I already HAD contacts?! If I wasn't so blissed about my new glasses, I wouldn't be so furious about being eye-raped.

Anonymous said...

LOL - eye-raped! good one Beth!

btw, I found a way to save tons of money on glasses. I get the frames on ebay. Just go to the store, try on the different frames, and write down the brand and model number and size numbers. Then search on ebay and hopefully you'll find the ones you liked. usually costs about $20-$30 for something that costs $200!! then go to Costco and they will make the lenses for you!!! much cheaper!! and no pressure!

the ever frugal grad student,
German