Friday, June 10, 2005

Peach Daquiris

They are good, but not when you drink many of them and don't eat dinner.

Groan.

The weather has been disgusting. Hot. It's the kind of weather during which you feel disgusting so you take a cold shower after work, feel refreshed, get out of the shower and sit stationary for about five minutes, and then become disgusting again. Post-daquiris I decided to pay D a visit prior to heading back to my apartment to clean in preparation for Parent Visit #4. D coerced me into staying the night, but I was unprepared. I didn't have any clothes other than a tank top that was, well, a bit sweaty from having walked many miles the day before (not to mention entirely work-inappropriate) and the clothes I had on that day. I decided to hand-wash everything (hand-wash!) and let them dry overnight.

I woke up this morning sweating to death. My stomach was extremely unhappy. Bitchy. D said "Were you cold last night?"

"No, actually, I was really hot, which is weird, since it seemed like it was cooling off."

"Oh, yeah, well, I shut the fan off because I was cold."

Seething. R says that D is non-responsive to the heat because he is half-Vietnamese. D says "I think I am meant to live in a hot climate. I just love this hot weather." Summer is my least favorite season. I am a spring/fall girl, and I can tolerate winter, because there are always ways to get warmer. Getting colder, however, is not easy, which makes summer frustrating.

I think this could be a problem, and we may have to start doing summer hours or something. Regardless, I very calmly explained my philosophy on sleeping and said "You see, D, when sleeping with another person, it is easy to get warmer but not easy to get colder. For example, you don't believe in multiple blankets. If you did, you could easily regulate your temperature. In fact, we could regulate our temperatures separately and both be comfortable. In the current set up, we each have only one option. Really hot or really cold. Not good. If you are cold at night, you could leave the fan on and then either use a sheet (or blanket!) or utilize body heat to your advantage. Shutting the fan off when its 90 degrees outside and when somebody else who can't sleep when its hot is in your bed is just not nice."

He understood. Progress!

It was then that I realized that my clothes were still wet and that I therefore had nothing to wear to work. D said "You can wear my clothes." I said "Wearing your clothes is just as obvious as wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday." I ended up blowdrying my clothes. I am, however, wearing D's giant navy man socks, which makes me laugh and makes me no longer bitchy.

He also gave me a shirt to wear. He said "This shirt is small. It's tight on me. It will fit you."

I insisted "It won't."

"I think it will."

"It won't."

I wasn't even going to try it on (because, obviously, it wasn't going to fit) but I decided to humor him and said "This is going to look like a smock on me."

Then I started to laugh, because I haven't said "smock" in over a decade.

Smock. It sounds like a verb. Or a derogatory term for something.

It then started to pour, which is stressful because my Parents and Brother will soon be en route to New York City with a couch tied to the top of their SUV.

They will also be bringing an air conditioner. I asked them to pick one up for me because (a) it would be cheaper in MA than in NYC and (b) it would be easier for them to get one than for me to transport one and (c) there was no way I was going to get one prior to their visit and it is best for all of us that my apartment not be a raging sauna while four people try to sleep in it. They originally bought one that was a bit on the small side (I want to use one air conditioner to cool my entire apartment because it is a raging sauna) so they picked up another one instead and, gasp, kept the original one for themselves!

I was not raised on air conditioning. My parents are opposed to it - my theory is that its a financial opposition - and were hard-core fan users. Consequently I have been a hard-core fan user and am not fond of air conditioners. Over the years, though, I've gotten more used to air conditioning through more hotel stays etc.

Anyway, Father called last night to make sure everything was coordinated for Operation Remove Apartment Door to Deposit Couch and said "We kept that air conditioner and, well, it's cold! This is great! Wow." He just couldn't get over it.

Whatever guilt I had regarding asking my parents to find an air conditioner for me is now alleviated by knowing that their lives have been vastly improved by this experience!

I am working a half day today (half day Fridays!). I am going to run home and clean, read my mail, put the fan in the window, nurse my ulcer regarding my parents' visit and try to stifle my being convinced that they will hate my apartment and be very disappointed in me, and try to think of fun things to do with people who don't like to walk at all or be outside when the weather is less than optimal.

I am thinking street fairs! Flea markets! Coney Island! Wining and dining! MOMA! Will my parents enjoy these things? I have no idea.

I have decided that a potentially effective method to get my parents to walk is to say "You can either walk or, Mom, you can hail a cab." My mother will be afraid of this and will then be psyched to walk if it means avoiding the awkwardness of summoning a cab.

(Incidentally, people in NYC call them "taxis," but I have yet to incorporate this into my daily speech.)

(Incidentally, people were making fun of me last night for saying "wicked." Half of the people thought it was lame, but half found it endearing, so I have no feeling on this whatsoever. I wish they would just get over it.)

I am starving. I really want pancakes, but I can't go get any because I have to get tons of work done in order to get home in time for The Couch.

Allegedly The Chairs are being delivered to work today. How awesome would it be to have Couch and Chairs?

And, in the most exciting and bizarrely fantastic news of the year, Sid and Buddy Karaoke is now on Thursday nights at the bar we normally go to for Happy Hour on Thursday nights!!! This bar is right around the corner from D's apartment. I can now live out my fantasy of becoming a Sid and Buddy regular!!!!

Weeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i usually call them taxis too and i'm not from new york. is 'taxi' really a new york thing?

Leah Lar said...

no, i think "cab" is a MA thing.

Dr. Maureen said...

They're cabs in Philly, too, I think.

Anonymous said...

i think they are called cabs in a lot of places. it's in the dictionary and i don't think it's slang or anything like that. i hope noone is teasing you about calling taxis cabs too.

Anonymous said...

taxicab (one word) is short for "TAXImeter CABriolet", a cabriolet being a carriage for hire and a taximeter being a doohickey that displays the fare due

bostonspeak sounds more accurate, because the thing you're hailing is the cabriolet, not the thing that tells you what you owe for riding in it.

-eb (etymology bob)

Anonymous said...

fascinating, but the idea of 'cab' being bostonspeak is simply crazy.

thanks for the info though (from one anonymous to another).