Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Topic: Human Pheremones

I think they exist. They are not universal, though. Perhaps pheremones attract us to certain people, but its not like those certain people are attractive to everyone.

A chemical basis of attraction isn't that far-fetched.

I remember seeing some weird documentary in high school or college about a pheremone-research lab. Apparently people in this lab didn't get along well with one another. The PI secretly left out some pheremones in a beaker or something and all of a sudden people started getting along.

Anyway, Human Pheremones are the Topic du Jour because I think I am experiencing something pheremone-related this week.

I look exactly the same as I looked last week.

I am behaving exactly the same as I behaved prior to this week.

I am carrying myself the same way that I have always carried myself.

Suddenly, people at work are coming up to me and saying "You look great!" and "Your hair looks wonderful like that!" and "Don't you look nice!"

Random people on the street have been talking to me. Men have been smiling at me. People in stores have been bizarrely friendly.

I sneezed outside yesterday in a huge crowd and someone actually stopped walking, turned around, concerned, and said "God bless you!"

D said "Maybe everyone's just in a good mood because its finally sunny."

Maybe. But I definitely look exactly the same and people are all of a sudden telling me I'm cute. Or maybe its the summer attire. But are people saying these things to everyone who is suddenly showing arm? I think not.

Or maybe its just because I am swollen in certain places, which is a much more depressing explanation of people's suddenly being nice to me than my sudden production of some sort of universally responded-to pheremone.

OK. Work now.

5 comments:

Beth said...

It's the glasses. I'm getting the same thing. New glasses will get that kind of attention!!

Anonymous said...

OK, but pheromones can't be the only thing going on or else you wouldn't be so into Jude Law (unless he has some crazy mutant bacteria-like science-fiction-esque pheromone that spreads through the internet or something).

Anonymous said...

there is no doubt in my mind that- if anything- it is the weather. nice weather reminds me how insanely moody the world can be.

Leah Lar said...

no, there is more to attraction than pheremones, but i think this could be a legitimate phenomenon.

jude law doesn't need pheremones.
in the immortal words of LBF this weekend "jude law, i want you to do me right now."

a man in the cookie place this afternoon was eavesdropping on me and all laughing at things i was saying to d. and i haven't even started wearing my new glasses yet!!!

it's probably the weather, and everyone is probably being nicer to everyone.

Anonymous said...

umm-hi-it's totally b/c you're a bitchin' chick! that and the improvement in the weather ;-)

xo
peaches