Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Friend Mode (or Trampled Karma)

So I am ignoring the results from the poll I took.

I know you all voted for me to go out with Intimate Apparel, but I have decided not to.

See. The thing is that I met him a month ago, wasn't too thrilled about him then, haven't actually spoken to him for more than 10 minutes since, and dammit, I have better things to do with my time, such as pick up my new glasses tonight!

I took a brief poll of coworkers, and their suggestions were:

1. Lie
2. Lie or
3. Lie.

Now. I see the benefits of lying. I really do. But. I didn't want to lie by saying I was sick, or that I double booked, or that I had to work late. These things are all implied lies and he'd know I was lying, so what is the point? Plus, by saying any of those things I'd be implying that there might be a point in time when I wasn't sick, or didn't have other plans, or got out of work on time.

Various voters at work said to tell him "I don't want a relationship" or "Anthing serious" or "I only want to be friends," but these things are not true. Really, what I should say is "I don't want any sort of relationship with you" or "I seriously don't want to see you" or "I only want to be friends with people who aren't you." If I said any of the lie variants, he could counter and then I'd have to lie again. And again. And then again. One voter at work said to claim that I am in "friend mode" right now, which I liked, and which is mostly true. I think people who are new to places really need to find where they fit in before they start dating - and that involves spending time with friends and picking up two new pairs of glasses.

So I emailed him and said I suck and am scattered and told my coworkers I'd go out with them which I think that I should since I am in "friend mode."

Friend mode. Heh.

I said things will be crazy during and after the holidays, but that I could call him after the craziness settles down but I'd understand if he didn't want me to.

See!!! Now he gets to reject me by ignoring the email I sent! And everyone feels fabulous!!!!

Everyone except my karma, which is shot to shit. But how many times have men done this to me? And at least I didn't ignore him completely like I would have in the old days!

I don't know what my problem is. Is it intimacy issues or the fact that I desperately want my new glasses? How am I to know?

No comments: