Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Craigslist People

I've met so many people in the past two weeks its absurd.

On top of meeting a bunch of people every day who do not want to live in my apartment, I've engaged in the "sell everything I own using Craigslist" portion of moving.

Not that I'm selling everything I own. I am selling things that are duplicates of D's things. Included: VCR, 5-disc CD changer, and ancient AIWA stereo from college with a non-functional CD player but decent enough speakers and double tape deck! Woop! I am also selling things that are no longer required, such as my adorable kitchen cart with drawers. Without items in the drawers, lovely. With Hershey Bars and Macaroni and Cheese rations, eye sore. I am trying to sell the wall mounting shelves that saved me in midtown. I am trying to sell the bookshelf I bought for $7 when I moved into my first ever apartment post-college.

D and I agreed that the kitchen cart would sell first and that the AIWA stereo wouldn't sell at all given its age and the fact that it is hideous to behold. D said "Please promise me that if nobody wants that in a week we will remove it from the household." "Well... I want to try to give it away for free before we do that... but yes... I understand, and yes, it will be removed."

We argued about the VCR. D wants me to convert all of my VHS tapes to DVD because "Who watches VHS tapes anymore? We don't need a VCR at all. Nobody uses VCR's. Who uses VCR's?" "I bet it will sell. I'm only selling it for $10." "But why would people be watching VHS?" "I don't know... old home movies, maybe they still tape things because not everyone can afford a TiVo, I don't know. It will sell."

The items were sold in this order:

Kitchen cart (stampede for this; sold to a frantic girl who had just moved into a new place and who was trying to buy D's IKEA dresser which was not for sale, sadly she did not want any electronics)

VCR (hah!; to an equally frantic girl who said "Mine just broke and I'm going away for a week and have to find one before I leave!")

AIWA Stereo (inconceivable!; sold to a DJ who has turntables but no money left, he will use it as a receiver since it is black and in his opinion decent looking and was thrilled about the tape deck because he will be able to tape his music; his friends gushed about our apartment and D and I were ever so proud)

Someone is coming to pick up the book shelf tonight, and hopefully the white sort-of-floating shelves. That leaves only the 5-disc changer, which I thought would sell rather quickly.

You can't predict these things. You can't predict what people will need.

I have no idea how we existed pre-Craig.

2 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

*I* use the VCR. I tape shows frequently. Since I get to watch The Gilmore Girls on Tuesdays (I refuse to be ashamed! It used to be a really good show! I have no idea why they turned Luke into some sort of weird unsocialized robot who doesn't understand basic human interaction, and it's pissing me off!), I have to let The Husband watch Supernatural on Thursdays, which means I can't watch My Name is Earl or The Office. So I tape them. I also tape Grey's Anatomy because now that I am growing a person inside of me, I am too tired to stay up till 11:00.

Beth said...

Brilliant! I love D's idea of converting tapes to DVDs. I have heard that this is possible... I will have to learn more. My VHS collection takes up a whole shelf in my bookcase and it is UGLY. My DVDs are neatly stored in a BOOK. It's so much more efficient. I can even TAKE my book of DVDs on the road with me. It's wonderful. Must do this project...