Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Vegetables

I am a picky vegetarian.

At dinner last night, I ordered “Assorted vegetables sautéed in garlic and olive oil served with jasmine rice.”

Because I am a picky vegetarian, this sort of menu item worries me. I only like certain vegetables, so I’m generally paranoid when the vegetable content is vague. My worst nightmare is that the assorted vegetables will be tomatoes, cauliflower, eggplant, and mushrooms, which aren’t even vegetables. I hate mushrooms above all else, mainly because they strike me as being a bit meat-esque. I don’t even like to push them to the side because they leave mushroom residue over everything they touch. I hate them.

My fantasy assorted vegetables include asparagus, spinach, broccoli, yellow squash and zucchini.

You can imagine my elation when the assorted vegetables arrived and were asparagus, spinach, broccoli, yellow squash and zucchini. Also included were cauliflower (ewww), carrots (not my favorite) and string beans (acceptable).

I was psyched! I cleaned my plate.

No comments: