Thursday, December 15, 2005

Random Thoughts About Seeing a Movie On Your Anniversary

1. Probably not the best idea.

2. Definitely not the best idea if the movie is 3 hours long and there are 20 minutes of previews in addition to an hour of waiting in line prior to its start thus preventing you from doing anything else that night.

3. Not terribly romantic. We should have seen “Pride and Prejudice.”

4. We’d said “But we’ll have plenty of time to talk and hang out before the movie and it will be like a date!” but we’d forgotten that given the chaos of opening night, one of us would have to stay behind and save seats while the other would have to wait in long lines for food. Between the waiting for food and the paranoid going to the bathroom before the 3.5 hour movie madness began, I think we spent about 10 minutes talking.

5. It’s not good when one of the people thought they saw “the best movie of all time” and the other thought it was ok but lied and said “It was SO AWESOME!” so as not to hurt the feelings of the really excited person. I know I am very critical so I may not be the most reliable source for a review, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't the best movie of all time. Although D said, cutely, "It was the best movie I've ever seen! But I guess I say that about every movie right after I've seen it..."

6. It’s also not good when you get back from the movie at 11:15 and one person asks you to upload photos you took for them of things they want to sell on EBay while that person brushes their teeth and then gets into bed and goes to sleep while you read “Bel Canto” until 1 am on your anniversary. Not that I can blame him. It was late and he didn't get much sleep the night before. I was tired too, but not so tired that I didn't want to smile and say "Wow! We made it one year and that makes me happy!" to him. Oh well.

So yes, I recommend “King Kong” but I do not recommend going to the movies on your anniversary if you would like your anniversary to be meaningful and involve anything sweet. I will say, however, that D surprised me by having purchased tickets to “Spamalot” for some time in January!!!! Woooo! I am very surprised by and happy about that! Yay!

So one year has passed, and probably the only anniversary I’ll ever celebrate has happened without event. Oh well. I’ll stop being a girl about it and get on with year 2.

Until tomorrow….

No comments: