Friday, December 16, 2005

Strike

The MTA is not on strike today.

That's not entirely true - apparently the drivers of two private bus lines in Queens are on strike, with more strikes to come if the contract isn't deemed satisfactory by the union.

This is good news. I am glad, for the workers and for the commuters, that the strike didn't come to fruition.

This being said, a small part of me was secretly hoping that there would be a strike. Not because that would be the right solution to the problem, because the problem shouldn't even be there to begin with, but because it would have been interesting.

I could have had the "I was living in NYC for the 2005 MTA strike!" story.

In addition, this sort of chaos can often foster a weird sense of community. I must admit that I was slightly excited about feeling one with my fellow New Yorkers in our time of need and inability to get anywhere!

I was also looking forward to seeing people rollerskating to work on the ice, although that wouldn't have happened given that it's 50 degrees out right now.

I was looking forward to being stranded. I was looking forward to a quiet day at work. I was looking forward to the controversy.

I'm happy, though. The people who work for the MTA have very difficult, annoying jobs and deserve raises and deserve to see some of the surplus in their paychecks. This is good for the city as a whole, but not for me and my selfish agenda.

No comments: