Friday, December 16, 2005

More Movie Reviews

I went to see Syriana last night.

Despite its being a total guy movie (in this case, "guy movie" does not refer to an action movie with violence, explosives, strip bars, etc., but instead refers to a movie in which all of the zillion characters except one are men - vile, corrupt, self-absorbed, greedy, destructive men who are involved in all sorts of greedy intrigue), I think it was good.

It was challenging. I left the movie and immediately said "Wow, I feel dumb."

The movie was challenging because of the many characters, their relationships to one another, all morally ambiguous, the many settings, and the lack of a true protagonist. Everything was complicated, confusing, not what it seemed, etc.

I enjoyed it anyway, even though I literally had no idea what was going on most of the time.

D had saved a review from The New Yorker that read something like "This is the rare type of movie that assumes too much intelligence from its audience." It also used words like "confusing." I guess if The New Yorker was confused I shouldn't feel so bad.

And of course George Clooney is my hero.

***

After watching Syriana, I read for a bit and then watched Murderball which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was interesting and answered a lot of questions. I now feel very attached to the people in that movie.

***

Too many crazy men, though.

I need to watch, like, Beaches or Little Women or something.

Not really.

Such a double standard.

Is there a mainstream movie that people actually saw and respect that involves only women?

I am trying to think of some...

And I can't.

Hmph.

No comments: