Thursday, November 03, 2005

Post-It

Newest Guy said "Do you have lysis buffer?"

I said "No, but I'll give you the recipe."

I have the recipe on a post-it on my bench, because I make lysis buffer all the time and because I can't remember anything anymore. I took the post-it off and handed it to him. He said "I can't read your writing."

"OK," I said. "Just give me a few minutes and I'll write it again."

He put the post-it back on my bench, but didn't put it where it was originally. Instead, he put it above the stir plate. I thought nothing of it beyond "That's weird that he wouldn't put it back where I keep it, but whatever." I didn't rip it down and put it where it belonged because I thought that would be overly anal and might also hurt his feelings. I made a mental note to move it back when he wasn't around.

I was making a solution today, on the stir plate. I was about to add the last ingredient to it while it was stirring, when I noticed the post-it was still above the stir plate. "I have to remember to move that... because it's totally going to fall in a solution some day!"

And then it fell into the solution.

As if I willed it to.

Seriously. It's been there for an entire day and just as I think "That could fall!" it falls. And bleeds ink into my solution. Awesome.

But its Thursday. Only one... more... day....

And then Philly! Woo hoo!

No comments: