Thursday, November 03, 2005

Lines

I tried to see Midnight Pajama Jam at Galapagos last night.

Most of this is my own fault. Well, not my fault as much as it is my boss' fault. The 2:30 meeting got pushed back to 4:00 and then 4:30, which resulted in a late day heart-to-heart rather than an hour and a half long discussion of data. This caused us to get to Williamsburg later than expected. We grabbed dinner, which went faster than I'd anticipated, and got to Galapagos at around 7:45 for the 8:00 show.

We waited in line until after 8:00.

During this time, I said "Eugene Mirman is at the bar!" Eugene Mirman, national celebrity (well, maybe more of a locally adored comic) and fellow participant in UMass' Orgy of Talents Circa 1995 or 1996, had been an object of my stalking before I even got to NYC. Not because I have a crush on him or because I think he's awesome (well, he is awesome, but I didn't know that before I even got to NYC), but because I think it is awesome that someone from that god awful talent show went on to make a name for himself. And not that the talent show was god awful, but it wasn't necessarily a breeding ground for, well, real talent. Anyway, I just really want to say one night, at the bar, "Hey Eugene Mirman, remember the Orgy of Talents Circa 1995 or 1996? You were really funny." I just really want to see if he remembers it at all, and what he'll say about it, because if he does remember it and he does say something about it, I bet what he says will be really really funny.

And it will make a rad blog entry. Or, better yet, a song called "Eugene Mirman Remembers Me!"

I digress...

I was disappointed in myself for not saying something to Eugene Mirman.

I was more disappointed in fucking people because after we'd been in line for about twenty minutes, D said "What the fuck? Look at those assholes." A bunch of people just cut in the line. Maybe ten or so. "Who do they think they are?" "You should start a fight," I said. "You're going to see me mad. Do you know that this sort of thing makes me mad?" "I know, honey." "I can't believe them." "Should we say something?" "No, I'm just going to observe this." A few minutes later "Do you see how I'm observing this and how it's making me mad?" "Yes, honey, maybe you should say something. But don't start a fight." "I'm so mad."

I wasn't mad. I expect this sort of behavior from people, especially from people in New York City, and particularly from entitlement-feeling line-cutters in Williamsburg.

I was mad when it sold out and there were approximately ten people who could not get into the show. Including us.

We should have said something.

But what do you say? Is it worth the confrontation? I never know.

We went home and watched the first half of Harry Potter 2 instead and went to bed at 11:00 and didn't wake up until 8:00.

3 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Make sure you tell Eugene that we still quote "Pots! On! Pots, Eunegue! On!" to each other. And I bet that Eugene is friends with TMBG, because that would be fitting. Maybe he's our key to cracking the TMBG-should-be-my-friends problem.

Beth said...

L-dog, are you just now seeing Harry Potter for the first time, or are you preparing yourself for HPIV by watching the whole series?

Leah Lar said...

Sort of. I saw HP1 in the theaters and thought it was ok, and since I thought HP1 the book was just ok, I didn't read the rest of the books. I didn't see the other movies either. But then I saw the preview for the next HP movie and it looks awesome! So I re-watched HP1 and will be watching 2 and 3 for the first time. I think I like 2 better than 1 thus far, but I still haven't finished 2.