Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Therapy

I am so ashamed.

Prior to my viewing of Capote this weekend, I saw a preview for a movie called Prime. It's written by the same guy who wrote Boiler Room, which I liked if only because of the hip hop-heavy soundtrack.

The movie stars Meryl Streep, who I irrationally resent because my freshman year boyfriend forced me to watch Bridges of Madison County because Meryl Streep was supposed to be Italian. This excited him greatly as he was, in reality, Italian, and was enamored with all things Italian, including, apparently, fake Italians. I hated every minute of it mainly because Meryl Streep annoyed me so very much (although I should mention that I caught a bit of it when I still had TV and cried like a baby - this is apparently one of those movies that actually gets better with age - I think I get it more now - as opposed to the sort of movie that gets worse with age such as The Black Cauldron, which I saw recently and which broke my heart as I loved it as a kid and now realize it sort of sucks).

Back to the lecture at hand...

The movie features Meryl Streep as a therapist. Uma Thurman is her patient. My guess is that Uma plays a divorcee who's getting back into the dating scene. Meryl Streep encourages her to pursue a fling with a man who is much younger than her (how much do we love that Uma is playing the older woman?) who, surprise!, turns out to be Meryl Streep's son.

Now.

I have three thoughts about this:

1. Best movie idea ever! Why didn't I think of this? and

2. Best movie idea ever. I can't believe this hasn't already been done! and

3. I can't believe I am excited about a cheesy romantic comedy starring Meryl Streep.

Seriously. This movie is going to suck so hard but the premise and the preview are so funny! Plus, it involves therapy! Awesome!

I also saw a preview last night before Serenity that is of interest... yes, folks, yet another Jake Gylenhaal movie to feel guilty about. In this one, our hero plays a soldier in Iraq. It sort of reminded me of Three Kings. Looks cool. I can't wait.

Speaking of which, this is cute:

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing. He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."

"OH NO!" the president exclaims, "that's terrible!"

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the president sits, head in hands.

Finally, the president looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"


Heh. That made me laugh yesterday.

OK. I'm off to get lenses for yet another pair of new glasses.

Until tomorrow...

6 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Dude! The Black Caudron! Tell me about it. A and I watched it again about 4 years ago, and I was so upset at how bad it is. It's really really bad. For this reason, I do not recommend watching old episodes of MacGuyver. Turns out, it was really dumb and not totally kick ass.

Banalities said...

MacGyver. I know. The *worst* writing and plotting of any show. Also add to the list Alf, Thundercats, and Voltron.

The most disappointing one, though, is Night Court. This was my favorite show growing up, and had a not-insignificant influence on the development of my sense of humor. Which is why I can't watch it without cringing now...

Beth said...

Dude! More glasses?!? Have you been hanging out at Frugal Fannies? Tell them I say hi!

Lissa said...

Leah, how did you find the movie Capote? My friend's daughter is in it. Her character is a blond girl that was friends with the family that was murdered and the scene is when the police interview her at the school.

Was that scene even in the movie, or did it get left on the Edit Room Floor? I'm dying to know, cause they aren't showing that movie anywhere in Canada yet...

Leah Lar said...

"Capote" was really good, although it was really difficult to watch, which I guess is good? I wish I'd read "In Cold Blood" beforehand.

Umm...

The only girl I remember was the teenage girl who was best friends with the daughter who was murdered. Other than that I don't remember a police interview, but that being said it's possible it was in the movie and I just don't remember?

Leah Lar said...

I didn't get them at Frugal Fannies. I was killing time in Williamsburg a few weekends ago while I futilely (is that a word?) attempted to sell some clothes to Beacon's Closet. I found a new glasses store that has AMAZING glasses, and they had a sale and happened to have the exact pair of glasses I've been looking for on sale for $100!

I went back with Sister to ask her what she thought, and I was hoping she'd say "No, you don't need them, save your money, you're being insane," which is what I think she intended to say. But about 1 millisecond after I put them on my face, Sister said "BUY THEM." So that was that!