Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Potato

It's a perfect day. I spent an hour walking around the city this afternoon - through SoHo and then Chinatown - to get lenses for my new glasses. It's gorgeous outside. It's supposed to be even more beautiful tomorrow.

While I was wandering around the city, I couldn't stop thinking about Cape Cod Potato Chips.

Weird. I haven't had those since, like, middle school. I couldn't find them anywhere. I nearly went insane.

I must have been craving salty.

It was a girl's birthday at work today, and someone sent her a giant chocolate chip cookie. You know the kind - it substitutes for a cake and has frosting. Yum.

As we inhaled the cookie, this guy from another department said "Does anyone here bake their own chocolate chip cookies?"

Nobody answered.

"Well, you know what makes them better? Adding 3x the amount of salt that is called for in the recipe."

Nobody responded.

I thought to myself "Oh my god... I bet that's his family's secret ingredient for the best chocolate chip cookies ever and he's just told all of us!"

And then "Wait - there's salt in chocolate chip cookies? What?"

Yeah. I've never baked chocolate chip cookies or cookies of any kind that weren't already in the form of a tube or sheet.

So now you all know - add 3x the amount of salt that is called for in your chocolate chip cookie recipe and you will be amazed! And you have My Mundane Life In Song to thank for it!

Let me know if you try it and if it makes them 3x as good.

3 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

Firs of all, you've never made cookies? What? Second of all, I think this guy is on crack, because I always put LESS salt in.

Beth said...

Hmmm... I have indeed made cookies (although not recently) and I believe that the only reason the salt is added is to activate the baking powder. But, I also know that sometimes you add salt to something to make it sweeter. Conversely, adding a little sugar to your tomato sauce will make it taste saltier. Weird. Most people I know say to add less SUGAR to their cookies because that makes them lighter and fluffier. But, less sweet, which is perverse because we're talking about COOKIES! Cookies should be sweet. Maybe this guy is onto something.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mo: the guy must be on crack. Maybe he mistakenly put crack into his cookies instead of salt. Therefore, 3x's the crack equals 3x's the cookie-goodness.