Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I'll Be Loving You Forever

I work directly across the street from a club called Culture Club.

It's Pollyesther's. Or whatever that nostalgia-themed-nightclub-chain thing is called. You know the one. The one where Brother and his friend B started dancing in a very coordinated fashion and caused a circle to form around them, 80's style.

The one across the street hosts concerts. The last concert advertised was Tiffany. Before that - Deborah Gibson. I was tempted to attend both.

I am so so so very tempted to attend... gasp... the Jordan Knight concert next week!

I'll admit it. I was a huge fan of New Kids on the Block. I had posters all over my wall. It was as though I had NKOTB wallpaper. I had t-shirts. I had the New Kids on the Block pillowcase. I spent hours upon hours hiding in the basement, playing Sega, listening to the Hangin' Tough tape over and over and over.

I went to the concerts. I threw fits when my parents wouldn't allow me to camp out for tickets. I was envious when my friends went to JP and sat outside Joey's parents' house, waiting for a glimpse of Joe!!!

I also claimed to be partial to Jon Knight, even though I was secretly smitten with Jordan. I think this was the beginning of my tendency to side with the underdog no matter what! Sometimes I secretly root for the favored team to lose, even if they're my team, because I feel sorry for the bad team who hasn't a chance.

I think this was what I was doing in claiming to love Jon Knight. I was all about him, but I think I was all about him because, well, nobody else was.

Or maybe that was the beginning of my being, ahem, contrary. I was against the mainstream, even at age 12! Well, not really, since I clearly was the mainstream in liking NKOTB. I bet all future hipsters liked Jon Knight, or, in the most extreme of cases, Danny Wood.

Anyway...

Yeah. I loved Jordan Knight. I still think he's adorable. Talentless, but adorable.

I'm tempted.

Very, very tempted.

The poster claims that he will be singing songs from his NKOTB days.

I am tempted, not only to see him, but to see who else will be at the show. What will the crowd be like? Who will be there? Will it be a bunch of 30-somethings who were raised in MA?

For $10, no issue. I'd be there with bells on and camera in hand.

But for $30? No way.

***

Speaking of $30, should I put ads on my blog to make money? Does anyone know anything about this? Do you actually make money? Will it be unsightly? Will it deter people from reading? As far as I can tell there aren't many people reading anymore so I guess it doesn't really matter. The ads won't make money, because nobody is reading, and the ads being there won't prevent people from reading because nobody is reading.

Which means... I should just put them on there? In case they make money?

I don't know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about ads, but I think you should tell me how to have a counter at the bottom of my blog. It's your duty since you're the one who got me started with all this. :D

Anonymous said...

i say go for the ads-why not a few. if they deter, remove them.

pw

Dr. Maureen said...

I think that many people consider ads a sellout. But then, many people have them. So whatever.

Dr. Maureen said...

And by the way, there is NO SHAME in liking Jordan the best. He was by far the prettiest.

In a class in grad school, a friend was going to move to Boston, and she booked a hotel in Dorchester for a visit. I said, "That's where most of the New Kids are from," because of course whenever I hear "Dorchester" or "Jamaica Plain" I think of NKOTB.

The other people in my lab group said, "You know where the New Kids are from?"

Dudes, I was 13 in Boston in 1989. Of course I know where the New Kids are from.

Dr. Maureen said...

PS The Husband secretly liked the New Kids at the time, but I don't think he had a particular favorite.