Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ice Cream

Had dinner last night with the other LL at the worst restaurant ever.

I chose this restaurant because I saw someone in the window eating waffles. And I also wanted an ice cream sundae. "I want waffles!" I declared, "With fruit on them. And ice cream. Yes. We shall eat here."

We walked in and I said "This place reminds me of Friendly's!" LL agreed. I thought to myself "I hope, though, that the service is better than Friendly's. And I hope they actually have the stuff that's on the menu." Friendly's is notorious for not being able to make the waffle sundae when I want it, or for being out of the first three ice cream flavors I order.

Upon perusing the menu, I realized that I couldn't decide what I wanted. So many options! The only thing I knew I wanted was a strawberry milk shake. And mashed potatos. And a waffle with a pile of fruit on it. Weird, yes, but who cares? It's New York City. Anything goes.

I decided that I would get the waffle with fruit only if the fruit was to my liking. If the fruit was not to my liking, I'd go with the banana pancakes. The other LL decided that she would have a grilled cheese if she could also get cheese fries with gravy, and that if they couldn't do cheese fries with gravy, she'd get something breakfast related.

When the waitress appeared, I asked "What kind of fruit comes with the waffle with fruit?" She didn't know, but guessed "Watermelon, and I think orange."

"Really?" I asked, thinking this was unlikely because watermelon on a waffle? Oranges? Just doesn't seem right. "Are there any berries involved?"

"Berries?"

"Yeah, berries."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, some places... you can get a waffle with strawberries on it. And also raspberries and blueberries if you're lucky."

"Oh, I don't know. I'll ask."

She left, returned, and informed me that they basically put their fruit cup on the waffle.

Ewwww.

I said "I'll have the banana pancakes, then, and a strawberry milkshake."

"Oh, we don't have strawberry milkshakes."

"Oh, ok then, I'll have a chocolate one."

"Well, we don't have any because we have no ice cream. The shipment didn't arrive today."

Curses!

"Oh, ok, then I'll have the strawberry milk."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"You mean milk with strawberry syrup in it?"

"Yes, like right here it says strawberry milk on the menu."

"You're sure you want that?"

"Yes, I'm sure," I said.

"Is that actually good?"

"Well, I don't know if it will be good here, but its usually good."

I didn't bother with the mashed potatos for fear that it would be too complicated.

The other LL ordered cheese fries with gravy and a grilled cheese, and then asked for a cherry coke. Which they did not have. So she asked for coke with vanilla syrup.

Our drinks arrived about ten minutes later. They were acceptable.

After 45 minuters, the other LL said "Dude, has it been like 45 minutes? How long can it take to make a grilled cheese and pancakes?"

We waited a bit longer, then started doing the thing where you try to stare down your waitress and look cross so that your food will materialize. A few moments after the stares were realized, she presented us with gravy and a plate of butter and syrup. Tease. We looked at this for about ten minutes when I exclaimed "Dude, seriously, I am just going to start eating this butter if she doesn't bring food."

She finally appeared with pancakes and cheese fries. We waited a few moments longer, and the other LL said "Why are you waiting?" "I'm waiting for your grilled cheese." "No, I'll eat the fries. We need to eat!"

We ate for about 10 more minutes. The other LL said "Where is the grilled cheese?!?!? Do you think they forgot?"

We did the stare thing again, and asked the waitress "Where is the grilled cheese?"

"What grilled cheese?"

"The grilled cheese. That I ordered."

"You ordered a grilled cheese?"

Oh. My. God.

What is wrong with New York City?

We should have gone for Indian food. Damn you lame diner on University Place and your promise of an ice cream sundae!!!!

No comments: