Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Because It Was Nothing Like We'd Ever Dreamt

Just got back from The Shins at Webster Hall.

Sigh.

The Shins are a prime example of bands who look nothing in person like they look in your mind.

This is an acceptable phenomenon when it comes to The Shins, though, because they put on a damn good show. I think it is, at the very least, in the top 10.

The Shins, Webster Hall, 4.25.05

The show was fun. Typically, however, I shall now complain about the fact that nobody in NYC dances at shows. The Shins put on a fun show. I expected people to be bouncing around, bobbing their heads at the very least. But no. Everyone in NYC is too cool to dance. Damn you, hipsters and indie kids! Dancing is cool!

Man. I danced and I had on a coat, was carrying a heavy bag, had a camera around my neck in order to take 40 blurry photos and a movie without sound of my favorite Shins song, and was suffering from some sort of food poisoning that both R and I contracted from our dinner.

But the indie kids? Too cool to dance.

Hmph.

Regardless, a great show. The boy can sing. The set was crisp. The execution was flawless and the songs varied enough from the albums to maintain interest for the entire show. Exciting news: they are recording a new album this year. From the new songs they played, it promises to be good.

Blah. I still feel food poisoned. I love the awkwardness prior to the realization that everyone has food poisoning. On the way to the show, I kept thinking "Man, I am either about to have an alien baby or something from dinner does not want to stay down" but I didn't want to tell anyone that I wanted desperately to run to the show. I don't know why there is shame in inability to digest things. I waited in line for like 20 minutes when we got there and when I finally met up with R he said "Man, my stomach isn't feeling so great" and I was like "Mine too!" and we both heaved huge sighs of relief. Luckily I am paranoid about this sort of thing and carry the world's best over-the-counter pink tablet - "Yay! Pepto Bismol!" - which eased the poisoning until about 20 minutes before the show's ending. After the show R and I compared notes and realized we both started to feel ill at the same moment. He said "I started to feel a little sketchy when you bumped into that girl when we were crossing the street" and I was like "That's why I bumped into that girl when we were crossing the street!"

D, who ate with us, is fine. Hmmmm. This food poisoning must only affect Italian stomachs.

Regardless, the show was amazing and I am home now, thankfully.

And, in other exciting news, I learned tonight that Monday is recycling day for NYC when I passed about 12 million empty boxes strewn about the streets whilst walking through the city. I am hoping that these empty boxes are also magic and will pack themselves. Doubtful, but please, allow me to enjoy my fantasies. At the very least, if I am in a panic and need more boxes for the move, I know where to find them. I guess I can find them anywhere I want. Woo hoo!

OK. I am going to read mail now. Joy.

No comments: