Saturday, December 18, 2004

The Pixies: a Review (or Adult Rock Show)

My ears are ringing right now but I don't particularly care, because wow.

My friend BL from Boston wrote me two weeks ago and said "I thought of you at The Pixies because it was an adult rock show." She was right. The average age of the people at the show was 35. And we rocked, but in a very polite, non-pushy, non-teenager sort of way.

This show was a religious experience.

Wow.

Yeah.

We were lacking words afterwards because wow.

Legends.

Flawless.

Amazing.

Perfect.

My only complaint is that, similar to the They Might Be Giants show, I literally couldn't see a thing. Every so often I'd see Frank Black's bald head floating around, but other than that, I saw the drummer twice. I wondered why they don't just build the stage a few feet higher.

They played everything. It is remarkable when a band can play a long set and not play any songs you don't like. Again, perfect.

Wow.

I am wondering if this show is the best show I've seen. Or, more appropriately, the best show I've ever heard. I think if I'd been able to see, I'd put it at number 1. But you have to consider the entire experience when making this sort of statement.

It's much easier to pick the five worst shows you've ever seen than the five best, but if I had to pick my five best right this minute they would be:

1. Radiohead at the Tweeter Center (8/03) (also a religious, literally life-changing experience)
2. The Pixies at Hammerstein Ballroom (12/04)
3. Blur at Avalon (7/03)
4. Jay Z at the Worcester Palladium (9/01) (right after 9/11, therefore a memorable and intense experience but also just flawless hip hop)
5. Jump, Little Children at the Paradise (5/01)

I'm not sure about 5. I can't remember which Jump, Little Children show was the show where they performed "Where She Lies" without amplification. But that show was amazing. Outkast was also amazing at Smokin Grooves in summer '02, as was Eminem that summer at Anger Management. And LL Cool J was amazing at Avalon, as was Aimee Mann. And Travis. And others. And the first J5 show I saw at Lupo's was phenomenol as well. And Sunny Day Real Estate at Axis in '99. They were awesome. That could be 5 depending on which day you ask me, as could Incubus in September '01. Hmmm... and Ben Folds always puts on a good show.

Best show I didn't see was Elliott Smith at Avalon. Not attending is on my list of biggest regrets in life.

And the 5 Worst Shows (not in order, because they were just terrible and you can't quantitate bad as accurately):

1. Smashing Pumpkins (college - don't remember when? Mo?)
2. Death Cab For Cutie (summer '04)
3. Pinback (10/04)
4. Liz Phair (2003 at some point)
5. Grandaddy (no idea when)

My ears are ringing.

Ringing ears are a sign of fun had.

Wow.

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

I believe Smashing Pumpkins was spring of 1997, but I can't be sure. That's the one H's dad paid us back for two weeks ago, though.