Monday, December 13, 2004

$10 Boots

Had a lovely weekend with M and A, who came down to NY all the way from Worcester for yet another fabulous weekend!

We started off having the best bagels in the world, which happen to be in Williamsburg. I won't even attempt to describe the cream cheese, because I won't do it justice.

We then went to the island to see People Are Wrong, a new musical starring John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, who M would most likely stalk if given the opportunity. It was playing at the same theater at which Avenue Q originally debuted. It's about a couple who relocates from the big city to the country. They want to start a garden in their yard because their wedding will be hosted at their new home. Because they are city people, they have absolutely no idea how to garden (they probably don't know what a Cuisinart is, either!), so they hire a local company to help them. The company, as it turns out, is a cult, headed by a dude with a ponytail who thinks he's from outerspace. After receiving a vision from space, the cult leader decides to use the money from the city people to build a space ship in their garden to send him back to his home dimension.

Yeah.

It was awesome. It appeals to a particular sense of humor, but if you have that sense of humor, you'll love it. The talent level was impressive, and it was great to laugh consistently throughout the entire show. It was also just nice to be at a musical. It's been a long time. M and I decided that if we were rich we'd go to musicals and plays all the time. And shop lots. She said "I'd get bored with the shopping." I never would. Not here, anyway.

Afterwards, we found a fantastic Italian restaurant south of Union Square where M ordered a special that, unbeknownst to her, contained caviar. Luckily it didn't cost an obscene amount of money. I got risotto with peas and artichokes. Yum. And then we had dessert. Also yum.

We then headed uptown and battled the tourists for a glimpse of the tree in Rockefeller Center, which was quite beautiful and extremely romantic and apparently not a disappointment. Seeing it made me feel like a tourist. I think I felt that way because it was very romantic, and very New York, and I had that feeling of awe that I experience only in response to New York City. It's nice to know I can still feel it. I'm sure I'll feel that way again in Central Park this summer. Ah, New York.

On Sunday we had breakfast at Relish, where I ordered french toast and onion rings, because Relish has the second-best onion rings in the world. It is nice to live walking distance from the second-best onion rings in the world. I also live walking distance from the world's best bagels, and the world's second-best creme brulee. Instead of talking about shoes at breakfast, we discussed glasses for like half an hour. A is so patient with us. I am so happy that M found A.

We then headed back to the island for some shopping and shoe-gazing in SoHo. On our way from SoHo to Union Square, there was a man on the street shouting "$5 shoes! $10 boots!" It was some sketchy weird outlet-y place with random clothes thrown about and tons of strange shoes. I found a pair of snakeskin-ish pinkish purple knee high boots for $10!!! $10 for tall boots!!!! I had to have them after A gave me his approval, because A's approving of anything shoe-related is noteworthy. They don't quite fit and aren't the most comfortable shoes, but $10!!!!

After more shopping at the fantastic Union Square Christmas Market Thing, we headed back and had more bagels and amazing little desserts to celebrate A's 29th birthday!

It was a great visit.

For the first time since I moved here, I found myself confronted with free time last night! I sat on the couch and was actually afraid of the lack of something to do. I felt unproductive and wasteful and useless and moody for about an hour, and then thought "Wait, I can just... relax!"

So I did.

And it was nice.

I watched Arrested Development, which is an amazing show. Every line on that show is hilarious, so I end up missing every other line while I am laughing like an idiot.

After Desperate Housewives I was feeling a bit useless again, but after the source of butterflies called to see how my weekend went and to tell me about something of note that's happening on Wednesday, I felt better and recorded another cover song on the real piano because Roommate was out of town!!! It came out well. Well, the audio is crap, but the cover is good and I think it might be almost ready to debut at an open mic. Yes, I will attend and play at a non-sketchy open mic after the holidays! Watch out, New York, and prepare yourself for the coming of the Lollysphere!

1 comment:

Dr. Maureen said...

You should post a picture of the boots!

This is how weekends with us seem to A:
M: Shoes shoes shoes shoes
L: Shoes shoes shoes shoes
A: [rolls eyes]
M: Shoes shoes glasses They Might Be Giants shoes
A: They Might Be Giants
L: Cornmo shoes shoes glasses glasses glasses shopping
A: [sigh]
M: Let's sing at the piano!
L: YEAH!
A: [sits quietly in corner]

But despite this, A had as great a time as we did, except for the 20 minutes in the $5/$10 store. And apparently, he didn't think there were that many interesting things in the Union Sq. Market. I know! I don't get it either.