Monday, October 04, 2004

No, You Don't Know

So older-than-dirt Jimmy just came by and said "What's what? You look beaten down."

I said "I'm, well, I'm lonely."

He said "I get lonely myself at times. Then I just jump straight up into the next thing."

Yes, Jimmy, yes.

He explained to me that only 3/10 of his family remains, and that his father, mother, and a bunch of siblings all died one after the other. He told me that he never cried until this one day at church, not too long ago at a Mother's Day mass, the preacher was going on and on and on about mothers. Jimmy left the church in the middle of the sermon, went to his car, and started to cry in his car.

People came after him. People said "We know how you feel."

Jimmy said "No, you don't know. You don't know how I feel."

Then he said to me "But I know how you feel. I know how it feels to be lonely. You'll find the next thing soon."

2 comments:

Beth said...

The next thing? What next thing? Like, the next tragedy? The next project? Your next album? Your next film festival? Next boyfriend? What? Jimmy, enlighten me. I'm still waiting for the next thing.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you ARE bored at work, aren't you! I swear I checked this last Friday morning.

Jimmy sounds like a wise, wise man. Like someone from a movie. Handy to have around.

M