Monday, October 04, 2004

Alphabet of Nations

They Might Be Giants is like an intravenous injection of HAPPY.

I think "Birdhouse in Your Soul" might be one of the best songs ever. Although, you can't jump to the entire song once you've, ahem, hit a certain, ahem, age. Such as 28. Oh well.

So M & A came to visit this weekend and we had a lovely time. It was so nice to have company and to actually interact with people. They brought me the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD as a housewarming gift, but, sadly, A determined that my DVD player/karaoke machine is, in fact, broken so I can't watch them. Sadness and weeping. Need to buy: DVD player, karaoke machine, couch, walls, coffee table, lamp, adaptors for power supply, new cell phone, friends.

We went to see They Might Be Giants at the Irving Plaza on Saturday night. I wore my fabulous new and truly outrageous Jem t-shirt that I bought in Soho on Friday night. M copied me and wore her hair in buns. We looked adorable and like we were 15 years old.

I was kind of nervous about it because I was afraid the show would make me feel old, but it didn't, because They Might Be Giants themselves are old and their fans are therefore old. If anything, I'd say we were average age there, if not on the younger side. I was thinking that it must be hard to be They Might Be Giants, because they have so many songs that span so many years to choose from for their set list. How could you ever decide?

Irving Plaza was ok. Sort of like Avalon only deeper and with $9 Captain and Coke. It was cool before the show because they played Spaceballs without sound. Not a good venu for the short, though. There are things about being short that are good - such as the fact that you can look cute in hoodies and sleep on trains easily because you can curl up. But when it comes to shows, as a short person you really just go to listen. M was very nice and told me what was going on onstage.

The show was good. Again, They Might Be Giants just make you happy happy happy! Being at the show reminded me of why I moved to NYC.

Yesterday we went out for brunch and then went furniture shopping in Williamsburg, where M & A found this very cool Chinese buffet thing and/or a vintage bar to buy for their new apartment. They didn't buy either because both items are expensive and they needed to think about it. But I am thrilled for them, because now they are dual income and can actually consider buying these sorts of things. While they were doing this I bought an ice cream from an ice cream truck for $1 and kept wishing I was rich. We also found this amazing used book store
(well, more of a kioske) around the corner from my apartment.

After they left I wanted to make phone calls, but couldn't for obvious reasons. I ended up recording a new song which I hope to have up this week if our phone works and we can then get internet. Roommate and I also watched "Desperate Housewives" which was actually pretty good. Terri Hatcher is obscenely hot. If I could look like anyone in the world, it might have to be Terri Hatcher. She's a good combination of hot/adorable. That show also has many people from "Melrose Place" - Kimberly plays this uptight and perfect housewife type and The Gay Guy plays someone's husband. I think this could be this year's guilty pleasure.

A good weekend. Now its back to reality. Hmph.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG leah! i totally watched Desperate Housewives and was wondering if it is actually a good, network drama or just a guilty pleasure...need to see additional episodes to come to an informed conclusion...;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm am so psyched to be mentioned in the blog! Not once but twice! You should post some of the pictures I took.
For the benefit of other people who read the post, I was wearing my tall boots (well, one pair of my tall boots), and so I TOWERED over Leah. (When we took a picture I made her sit on the counter so she'd only be a little bit shorter.) I felt like I was describing a movie to a blind person or something. I was all, "He's putting on the accordian!" and "They bowed and left the stage!" and "They're back on the stage!" and "The lights are all purple!" To which Leah said, "Dude, I can see the lights."

M

Anonymous said...

I'm totally only mentioned once. I remembered wrong. It was because I read the entried scrolling down and posted comments on my way back up and forgot what was what. But I'm still psyched.

M

Anonymous said...

(Last comment, I swear.) You do need to be short to look cute in hoodies, as I was sad to find out.

M