Friday, January 05, 2007

Super Hero

I can't get enough of Wesley Autrey. Every time I read or hear something about him, I cry. I just watched the entire press conference. Every time he hugged Bloomie (who I also love) I cried.

There's been all sorts of discussions about why this sort of thing makes everyone feel so good.

Is it because in the same position we wouldn't have done the same thing? Shouldn't that make us feel bad? Or does it just make us appreciate people who do these sorts of things?

Is it because he's so humble and grounded?

Is it because he called out to his daughters to let them know he was safe?

Is it because he says he's not the hero and the people in Iraq are?

Is it because he did something completely and utterly and selflessly insane and lived to tell the story about his dirty hat?

He's being showered with gifts. Trump gave him $10,000. Disney gave him and his family a trip to Disney World, tickets and backstage passes to The Lion King, Mickey ears and stuffed animals. The MTA gave him a year's worth of free subway rides (cheap - they should give him and his family free rides for life). Other organizations have given his daughters scholarship money.

I hope hope hope all of this attention and the gifts don't change him. He's so nice. He's normal. He's giving. I think this is why people are going nuts. He's a sweet, awesome guy who did something amazing on the way to work and asked for nothing in return other than for New Yorkers to always be nice to each other.

Man. I'm almost crying again.

No comments: